We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Hello,

I am thinking of going to the maldives next year but am overwhelmed with resort choices. Hopefully, the regulars on this forum can point me in the right direction. My budget is about 1000USD/night. I would like to stay in a water villa with

*good house reef,

*great, varied food choices,

*beach with a sandy bottom lagoon or even a swimming pool

*maybe a larger island with some night time entertainment

Thinking of going early May as prices seem to drop after May 1st. I understand thats when wet season starts. Does it usually come in the second half of May? I know no one has a crystal ball to predict future weather patterns, but hoping to increase my odds of good weather.

Also, when exactly is manta and whale shark season?

Right now, I am looking into mirihi an diamonds athuruga, but there seems to be so many choices that its alittle overwhelming.

Thanks for reading.!

Edited: 11 September 2013, 20:48
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Mirihi is closing 7 May to 31 Oct.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

This year monsoon turn was somewhere around the 6/7th of May but the previous two years it was a week later and those who went at the beginning of May got peak season weather for low season prices. A gamble we have taken for next year and hope we won't regret.

Manta/Whale shark seasons depend on where you are heading but most resorts in the South Ari Atoll seem to have good results for whalesharks.

South Wales
Level Contributor
313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

We have visited the last two years at the beginning of May and it did turn earlier this year. However it wasn't at all bad. We lost about a day and a half to heavy rain but for the rest of the time was good. Yes, we did have quite a few sharp showers and a couple of breezy days but nothing to stop us enjoying. Mostly sunshine with a bit of cloud. The year before was wall to wall sunshine for two weeks.

It's definitely a risky time but we are going to take the gamble again next year.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Ok. So now that mirihi is out of the question. I have narrowed it down to two: diamonds athuruga and Constance moofushi.

I like that athuruga has one of the best reefs in Maldives. And I like that moofushi has a swimming pool. Both are about the same price for a WV.

Has anyone who has stay in both offer any insights as to which one is better? Thanks!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Athuruga has a much better reef and food than moofushi. From regulars , reef is barely average at moofushi and food can be disappointing.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,903 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

between these two , athuruga without a moments hesitation

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Thanks for the quick replies! Are there other ones I should consider?

Am I right to say that the south ari atoll has the better reefs and closer to whale shark sightseeing?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,903 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

yes you are right

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

Hello Dan

I agree that South Ari has access to the more likely whale shark spotting opportunities - but you cannot as a rule say it has the best house reefs.

Some South Ari islands have nil reef - whereas there are plenty of islands with stunning reefs in other parts of the country.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,903 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best resort for my criteria? and misc questions

I suppose I was reading the questions from a diver's point of view - apologies .