We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night departure concerns

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Late night departure concerns

Hi we have booked a late night departure with emirates 11pm leaving Male to Dubai then onto Manchester as we wanted to return on the A380 and spend a bit more time on the island but we have just noticed this on the Kuoni website

ATHURUGA - EK 653, EK 652 & UL 115

We do not recommend you book these flights in conjunction with this Island. If the flight is delayed you will have to overnight in a hotel in Male and take the first available seaplane the following day. No refunds will be given on your first nights accommodation

So now we have a bit of a concern, has anyone travelled on the late night flight and do you think the likelyhood of having an issue is possible or is it a very slim chance also do you know if we would be put on the last available seaplane or just when ever they feel like it?

I think it is possible to change hopefully

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night departure concerns

Hi

The homeward journey shouldn't be a problem and they will endeavor to put you on a late seaplane, but of course it does all depend on what other people on the island and other islands need dropping off/picking up Do bear in mind though, that seaplanes can only fly during daylight hours, so you are going to have a fair few hours to kill at the airport. I know some people hop over to Male for a meal and wander round, but it's not something I've risked doing! (I'm a worrywort re timings, nothing to do with safety).

Going out could be a problem. The very first time we went, our Emirates flight was delayed by 4 hours leaving Heathrow. They actually held the connecting plane in Dubai, and luckily we had a speedboat transfer. This was many years ago, but I suppose the risk is still there. It's one of the reasons we don't fly Emirates. Of course it can happen with any airline, but if your TO is advising against using these flights, then I'd take their warning seriously.

Personally, I'd swap if I could.

SL

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night departure concerns

Am I missing something here? You're asking about departing the Maldives on the way home, but the alert you're quoting from Kuoni is about arriving in the Maldives.

What Kuoni are saying is that the flight ARRIVING into the country may arrive so late that you miss the last seaplane flight to the island and will have to overnight in Male and transfer to the resort on the following day. This won't in any way affect your departure experience which is what you're asking about.

No need to change your departure flight, which at 11pm leaves you more than ample time to get to the airport. You may want to reconsider the flight you arrive with, however.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 07:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night departure concerns

Agree with kanthony, I don't reallt understand the question, you will just have time to kill at male before your flight home. The alert is in case you arrive late. It's not about departure.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night departure concerns

It's a bit late to say that the best emirates flights are the ones that leave the various UK airports at about 1415 hrs and arrive at 0830 into male and then leave Male at 1000. We've done that 2 or 3 times from Manchester and Birmingham

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night departure concerns

We also do the Emirates flights PaulB suggests. The 2pm (ish) flight from MAN is the A380. However coming back on the connection after leaving Male at 10am (ish) is not an A380 (which is why PaulnHelen wanted to leave on the late flight out so they do get the A380 connection in DBX?).

Edited: 14 September 2013, 10:06
Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night departure concerns

After your comments and reading it again I can see now that it is about arriving and not departing, we are leaving Manchester on the 14:10 flight and arriving at 8:30 in male, it is the late night flight coming back we have booked as we did want the A380 coming back and we will get a bit longer on the island. As long as they put us on the last available sea plane to make on departure we dont mind a few hours at Male airport

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late night departure concerns

and thanks for pointing that out our minds are at rest now

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late night departure concerns

Be prepared to find yourselves on a sea plane going back earlier than you would ideally like. The sea plane company will fill the plane if they can so you may find yourselves making the numbers up for guests who need to get back for an earlier flight (and that may be guests on a different island).

I suspect the company look at who needs to get back to the airport on a given day and where from - and they'll fill the seaplane based on the time they have to get there by the flight deadline of the guests on the earliest flight. If that makes any sense....!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late night departure concerns

And be prepared for not being allowed into the airport a few hours before your flight departs . Male airport is quite an unusual airport. There is nothing to do / nowhere to go as you would in other airports until you have checked in and gone through to departures. It might be 8pm before you can check in

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late night departure concerns

As Lyn says don't rely on the fact that because your international flight is one of the last of the day that you will stay in resort until the last possible minute - a few reviews have mentioned mid day/ mid afternoon departures from resort for the 22.55 flight. This is why we always choose early morning flight in and early morning flight out (although plane model is not a factor with us) and because we have seen people displaced from their rooms by incoming guests whilst waiting for their later flights, although a courtesy room was made available to those guests affected. If I'm packed I just want to be on my way.

As you are staying on Ath and AI is the norm I would think there is little chance of your AI package ending at noon but it might be worth checking as some islands do have this policy.