We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
"No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

I had quotes from Travel Counsellors as well as TravelLab for Athuruga next year, and ended up booking with TravelLab. Travel Counsellors asked if their price was competitive, and when I politely explained TravelLab was a bit cheaper, I got this email in response - "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab".

I was under the impression they were both Kuoni agents. Is it weird that one has not heard of the other? I've been reassured about TravelLab on this forum already, which is why I booked with them, and I've had the ATOL certificate and everything, but now I can't help feeling a bit disquieted.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

I've never heard of Travel counsellors.

About to book second holiday with Travellab ...

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Ooh Karla...where to??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Meant to add, yes, all travel documents inc luggage lables were Kuoni once they arrived plus unexpected voucher for free sunset cruise.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

:-) Thanks Karla, that immediately makes me feel better.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Just at getting quite stage ... OH cannot confirm dates till new academic year starts 1 October ... if Easter, Komandoo most likely island, if June, may be going back to Baros :)

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo
Komandoo
Lhaviyani Atoll
england
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

jtm - that is unfortunately the sort of offhand comment that brings travel agents en masse into disrepute. I have heard of TL albeit I have never booked with them. Now, do you think that it is believable that a TA has not heard of one of their competitors? I don't but that is only my opinion. It sounds to me that they got a quote that they were not prepared to beat.

To be honest what matters to you is what protection you get should it all go pear shaped - ATOL protection is what you need and what you have got. I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

The best bit is that you have picked a great island. I am off there for a week in 20 something days. I have lost count of the number of times that I have been to Ath. I have always had a fantastic time. Stand by for my blog giving you the latest development s and updates on how the reef is doing etc.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Thanks OnOn, I appreciate that. And I'm really looking forward to your blog!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

As far as I know...TL is part of Co-Operative Travel rather than Kuoni but must have some exclusivity to sell them.

TC are a totally different kettle of fish as each Travel Counsellor works for themselves.

I've made no secret of the fact I use Travel Counsellors and have done for a few years now because I use the same person over and over again. I don't always book with the cheapest, I book with who I think gives me the best service when I am spending upwards of £5k and the person who doesn't talk to me like I am an inconvenient 5 year old and tells me that the island I've been too twice isn't popular because it isn't good value for money? Seriously?

As it happens, there are hundreds of Kuoni agents, I am not surprised that one has not heard of the other and I also understand why they might be suspicious of prices that are lower, I think we have all seen a price and thought 'that seems too low?'.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Agree with onon that's the sort of comment that brings agents into disrepute.

Either the agent was brand new, could not be bothered to ask their colleagues and had no clue or the agent was lying to try to make you doubt your choice.

Neither is a ringing endorsement for travel Counsellors and both are unproffessional. I have not used them, although I have had a quote from them, so even I have heard of travel lab.

As such, you made the right agent choice.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "No offense but I've never heard of TravelLab"

Thanks, you're right. The service has been brilliant, and I've seen good reviews on here so I'm happy with my choice ... 360 days to go :-)

Edited: 15 September 2013, 21:28