We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives News

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives News

We have read an item in the Local Maldives newspaper online, since the takeover of both seaplane companies by the Blackstone group, the seaplane transport to the islands has become erratic and unreliable.

In some reports passengers are missing their flights back home.

Not the sort of experience you want when you have paid thousands of pounds for a so called stress free holiday.

There are also reports of increases in seaplane ticket prices.

We are returning for the 7th. time in January, if things do not improve we will be considering foregoing our deposit and making a last minute booking elsewhere.

South Wales
Level Contributor
313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives News

That's rather worrying. I'm quite surprised as it all usually runs like clockwork and both companies are already established so you would think that a takeover would not make a significant difference to timetables and service etc.

We were there in May and we did notice an increase in excess baggage charges though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives News

Was there July and it was fine.

Am quite surprised at your extreme reaction based on a news article that refers to very few people, when over 800k people a year visit.. Possibly best to wait and see if you actually encounter any issues.?

england
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives News

I have seen first hand what possibly can be said to be a lower level of service and increased charges. I have never in any of my previous 5 visits been charged for excess luggage weight. On our 6th visit last month we were charged $168 for four of our cases that were over 20kg. In addition to this, rather than calculate whether our party cumulatively has exceeded it's weight allowance, it ignored the fact that 5 or 6 of our cases were below 20kg and charged us regardless for those that were over. Also, upon our return there was confusion as to where my brother was to depart from and he was told the seaplane landed at the wrong island - ok, it was only a 10 minute dhoni ride away but nevertheless, they did land at the wrong island. When we departed we made a diversion to Lux to pick up more passengers - it was clear they were cramming in as many ppl as possible - it took the baggage operator 10 minutes to repack the luggage in the rear of the plane - there was literally no room left at all seating or otherwise. I do agree that you need to be efficient as possible but I do wonder what extra stresses and strains will be placed upon the service they provide in order to maximise efficiency and reduce costs?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives News

Hi Roger

They've got more stringent on over weights since the computer system came and now withhold the sea plane boarding pass until you've paid but this happened before the merger took place. However they normally just weigh it all together but I guess if there was a number of you (more than two) the scale wouldn't take it all together.I also went many years without paying as it was a rather hit and miss system but the last three or so years has got much more organised and computerised after all in the old days they weighed in pounds and converted it kilos after

Regards

Doug

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives News

Roger - the seaplanes should usually* allow you 25 kilo each (20 case plus 5 hand).

If you go as a couple they usually weigh your items as a pair.

I thought the excess charge was $4 per kilo - or is it 8 now?

*there are some exceptions as some islands eg Conrad allow more (unless that changed after the merger?)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives News

unless you are taking many kilos of dive gear, if you are over 20kg you are taking far too much stuff - simple as. (ditch all those pot noodles and bottles of water)

7. Re: Maldives News

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20