We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still confused with choice of island

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Still confused with choice of island

I have previously written a post and got some good ideas from answers given as to what island to choose. However my research in reality is driving me insane all places have both good and bad about them but mostly they all seem great overall.

So what am I looking for the ability to stay all inclusive with decent food and all drinks doesn't have to be top brands but I would like some decent cocktails. I would love to have a chance to see a whale shark but it would appear in February that is unlikely but who knows. Hopefully an overwater villa or at the very least one close to the water spacious not to small. I have narrowed it down so not in order of preference but first off the one I know is most expensive:

Constance Moofushi

Veligandu

Karramathi

Komandoo

Vilamendhoo

Why these because they seem to have good reports some seem close to were whale sharks are some don't seem like there are to many children I'm kind of over screaming demanding children especially when paying the most I have forked out on a holiday ever. Some do have premium brands and they seem to have decent snorkeling I do not dive. I am booking this tour out of Australia so its hard to get advise not so many Aussies go as it has a reputation of being to expensive. I have found that doesn't have to be the case.quotes so far range between US$2900 to $4135 for a week so with airfares added not cheap.

If I could get opinions and why I would really find that helpful especially from those who have been to more then one. Sorry my question is so massive but I really want to narrow it down and soon.

Thanks for all assistance offered.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Well I was almost sold on Vilamendhoo but it appears to be sold out at the time I need anyway so back to square one. I suppose I am going to be up against it as my time to go is popular and also the most important day to be there is a world wide day for lovers Valentines Day it will be my 33rd Anniversary that day so I was hoping to be in the Maldives for it.

Lynphd the reason that South Ari was mentioned is because of my hoping to see whale sharks but from some comments it looks like maybe TV is where I will see them anyways. The quotes I have been given for Moo.., are to expensive I see that Angaga is quite a good price but i don't know if it is very flash. Kom comes in around $960 a day so not cheap as much as I don't want to admit this but I fear that prices at that time of year as well as availability may cause real trouble for me. I am going to be very disappointed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Must say never felt or heard much complaint about segregation on Vila. The whole island is open to everyone but couples/adults regardless of your room choice can just have that extra experience of their own bar and one pool. WVs and JBV have their own resterrant. Seem to work perfectly compared to some othet islans we had been to. Its a mid size island by Maldives standads but has grown with WVs since the upgrade.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 13:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Hate posting on a ipad...sorry spelling.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Is seeing/not seeing whalesharks a deal breaker? If yes then South Ari is your best bet but be prepared that even there you could be disappointed.

I have been to 2 resorts in South Ari - Angaga and Vakarufalhi - either of which I would return to. Both resorts were visited in March and from those resorts I took 4 trips in the hopes of seeing mantas and/or whalesharks (2 trips from each resort) - I wasn't lucky enough to see either on any of those trips although OH did see mantas on a 5th trip he took. Others staying at the time did see them on different trips. I have been lucky enough to see whalesharks in North Ari and Baa (2/3 each time) but in October on both occasions and I know a whaleshark has been seen off Kom and Kuredu this September, a rare event. Its always great to have the chance to see them, but as its never guaranteed its not a strong enough requirement for us to make it the basis for deciding on an island - that decision is based on the sum of the parts a resort has to offer and budget - and I would think spending both Valentines day and your 33rd anniversary in the Maldives would be pretty special in itself(congratulations!)

Would you consider widening your choice a little and going without the chance of whalesharks if there was somewhere else in budget?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Yes I am thinking of both of the islands you have just mentioned as they are both reasonable price and as I said in my last post I am now thinking the whale sharks may be a pipe dream. When I first decided that the Maldives would be nice I didn't even know there was whale sharks in the area. The Maldives are promoted as a somewhat an exclusive honeymoon spot or for the rich and/or famous here in Australia so other then TV shows I knew nothing about them and most travel agents here still think of them as some unreachable exotic no go zone for the ordinary.

Being very ordinary budget is important and as much as Moofushi or Lily etc sound marvelous I can't really see value there YES I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTION. I have never been on this type of holiday before the closest was Lombok a couple of years ago still developing as opposed to Bali that is at breaking point we did stay at a undeveloped beach with only 2 villas and a whole very large beach to ourselves sent my daughter there a couple of months later they now still only have 4 villas. My husband did snorkel on Gili Trawangen and Gili Meno but that is more in pursuit of turtles and small fish.

Here in Australia the mere thought of sharks send big deserved shivers down the spine ours are man eaters and do eat pretty much each year somewhere here. So just seeing those close up and non man eating will be a thrill and nemos etc a big kick. I have to say if I can't get to see the whale sharks I may go to Tonga next time the real whales go there and you can swim with them or if the Maldives is a good as I think it will be I will go back in the proper season as it is much cheaper then anyway.

SO ANY THOUGHTS WILL BE HELPFUL THANKS.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Have you looked at prices on Purely Maldives? You can search based on your dates & other criteria.

Have you considered going HB instead of AI? On some islands AI can add a lot to to the price and it may be a comprehensive AI package or still be quite limited and restrictive (and therefore it may be cheaper/better to pay as you go). You can only decide by looking at the scenario for each individual island.

Here's our blog from Komandoo, last Dec JBV HB:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k5…

Edited: 12 October 2013, 06:08
Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Forget the rest, go to the best. Reethi Beach. ;-)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Bonters...methinks you are a tad biased no? Nice try. Lol!!

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Agree with Lyn re the HB v AI. We've just come back from Veligandu, first time to Maldives and absolutely loved it but we were on AI+ (full board plus snacks and drinks inc minibar) I took note of all the drinks prices in minibar and bars/restaurants (and will post them later as it might help others when trying to decide whether to go AI or not). We would have been quite happy with a good breakfast and dinner as we missed lunch out most days and found that even drinking wine in the evening and lots of soft drinks/beer/water during the day, we didn't quite get our moneys worth on the difference in price between FB and AI.

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Still confused with choice of island

Lynphd - shamelessly so! But there was a request for further suggestions and I couldn't see a reference to our favourite destination. :-)