We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YP Yippee!

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
YP Yippee!

First day off work in weeks (and I did end up going to work for 3 hours) so some time to sort self out as it's only a week until the YP trip which I booked so long ago. OH asked me when I fly, I had no idea, hunted for paperwork (in pile of paper recycling in study, rather near suitcase not unpacked from last trip) and discover I have no idea about connection times and return times. Most info is in Turkish. Log on to Turkish airlines site and 5 very hysterical minutes spent in panic that I leave Istanbul before i get there. Mug of tea helps me realise flights have changed but all is well and I actually have a longer holiday than I thought : )

Have read all my facebook exchanges with DIC and now aware doing the Northern cruise which looks jolly good. Have also discovered dive price list which looks pretty reasonable even if I do have to pay for child no1 to dive too. Dive bill will be considerably cheaper than it was for self and children no's 2&3 in Athuruga in June, if I manage to remember tomorrow, I can pre book a dive package and it is cheaper still.

Rummaged in mountains of papers on desk and managed to find about $150 lying about which child no1 brought back from hockey tour to South Africa in July (OH was confused about currencies prior to her trip and issued her with several types to be on safe side, hurrah, several trips planned so I can spend them all). That leaves dive cards to find, still in suitcase I hope, hair anti-frizz stuff and crisps to buy. Think Walkers Fries on special offer so will load up with them. Child has asked if she can have her own case (too many years being told she can have a quarter share of one case with her siblings to save money while flying budget airlines to Europe) and is rather pleased not only that she may but also that Turkish airlines let you have 30kg. Goodness knows what she can take for 7 days on a boat that would weigh that much, she isn't likely to want an iron.

Children no's 2 &4 sulking slightly, apparently I owe them a holiday. Truth is though their half term is different to child no 1 and as we cruise around the Maldives they will be in the classroom. Child no3 (yes, I have 4 children at school in 3 different towns just to add to my daily stress) is on holiday but is spending it with grandad and dog while Grandma accompanies us on our cruise. She still thinks I'm joking when I say cocktail dresses and sequins not required and that she has to jump in off the back and that there is unlikely to be cut glass aboard.

Right, time to tip out suitcase has arrived, really hoping I did pull out all underwear for washing back in July....

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YP Yippee!

<panic that I leave Istanbul before i get there> - Well that would be unfortunate!! Glad it worked out, have a fantastic time :))

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YP Yippee!

Yayyy! A whole week of mad build up to come! Lol

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YP Yippee!

Glad I checked suitcase. Discovered brand new dress with labels still attached which I obviously thought I could not live without then promptly forgot about.

Wetsuit is causing concern. Very doubtful I can fit in it, but will save about $15 if don't hire one. Should I try it on while home alone to save humiliation or when kids at home to pull me out of it?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YP Yippee!

Hooray! Hope you have Wi-Fi?

Have a fantastic time :)

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
969 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YP Yippee!

You could try it about half an hour before they come home just incase you need a hand out! I have visions of myself trying on a wet suit once and flapping around like a fish out of water trying to get out of it in a busy shop changing room!!

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YP Yippee!

I think I may try it on in shower while daughter no2 nearby as she is least likely to be insulting, well at least to my face. Sun cream & anti hair frizz now purchased. Daughter no1 has now announced needs new mask & snorkel, no idea why didn't mention this in dive shop while getting my mother hers. It may of course have been because mother forgot to breath through snorkel and turned blue.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YP Yippee!

So glad you are 'on your way' Patchesmum. It's been a long time coming what with one thing and another.

You have your anti frizz - have you thought about the breeze? No chance of a decent hair do. I wore a scarf one evening and was asked 'aren't you feeling well' Lol. I found leaving conditioner in the best answer. works like hair spray/anti frizz and protects your hair from the salt all in one.

Tell mum - loose and comfortable. It's hot and humid. Something the breeze can blow round ;-)

No need for 30 kgs. Swimsuit, sarong, flipflops, dress, trousers, shirt. That will cover it.

Have a great time, remember to look out for the dolphins late at night from the top deck.

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YP Yippee!

Sue, hair quite long at moment so bought pack of hair bobbles to tie it up. Bought lots of sachets of shampoo & conditioner too. Also bought lots of crisps but ate most of them already so back on shopping list. ( was gymnast when young, spent weekends in sports hall toilets eating crisps and parents couldn't understand why I wasn't improving)

I havnt looked at weather forecast yet. Honest.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YP Yippee!

Patches, sounds like you are demob happy :-)

Take no notice of the weather forcast, it's based on Male where the poloution makes it rain. You will sail out of any bad weather. Mind I love the one and only tropical downpour we had. It made the water warm as a bath. Bit of a laugh when we got back on board too. I helped stop the equipment on the buffet table sliding off and got photos of one of the boat boys who fell in and was being teased by his mates. Me in warm shelter with an expresso and rum ;-)

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: YP Yippee!

More dollars obtained to ensure mother & daughter have spends as they were fretting and wouldn't be told there is absolutely nothing to spend it on.

Cruise itinery studied. Pleased to report visiting only one local island ( must hunt for/ buy mossie spray). Also pleased to see will be sailing in waters I dived while at Maafushivaru last year which was great. Would be good if daughter got to see a whale shark ( other than her granny)