We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kuramathi vs nika

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Topic
kuramathi vs nika

Hi,

I plan to spend few days on Maldives with my fiancee this March. We both only snorkeling and I can´t decide between Kuramathi resort and Nika Island resort. Kuramathi is more expensive but from the forum I found that close to Kuramathi is Madivaru where is also good snorkeling. Do anyone have experiences with these resorts?

London
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kuramathi vs nika

I've been to both. Do you have any particular questions?

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kuramathi vs nika

I am afraid Madivaru doesn't allow day trippers to snorkel around their reef. ( thankfully )

If you are interesting to take a snorkeling excursion, Kuramathi might still sending guests to Kandholhu. ( if that's what you have in mind.)

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Well now I am little bit confused. When I opened google maps I see Kuramathi resort, on the left is local island rashdoo and than island madivaru/madivaru finolhu but it seems that there is no resort, even any building. So from who from madivaru i need permission if no one is there ? :) Are we talking about the same? Or the google maps are not actual :(

Bruce: both resorts look nice, the accomodation or food or other services is not our high priority. We are looking for good snorkeling, so my question is: is better snorkeling on kuramathi or on nika? At first I though that I would choose kuramathi because I read that there is good snorkeling and also on madivaru which is pretty closed but Sologirl now confused me. And on Nika it seems that it is small island with small reef. But I have never been there so I only read forums and watch google maps so I will really appreciate any advice from you.

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Well now I am little bit confused. When I opened google maps I see Kuramathi resort, on the left is local island rashdoo and than island madivaru/madivaru finolhu but it seems that there is no resort, even any building. So from who from madivaru i need permission if no one is there ? :) Are we talking about the same? Or the google maps are not actual :(

Bruce: both resorts look nice, the accomodation or food or other services is not our high priority. We are looking for good snorkeling, so my question is: is better snorkeling on kuramathi or on nika? At first I though that I would choose kuramathi because I read that there is good snorkeling and also on madivaru which is pretty closed but Sologirl now confused me. And on Nika it seems that it is small island with small reef. But I have never been there so I only read forums and watch google maps so I will really appreciate any advice from you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Are these your only two options? I thought Nika had a healthier reef than Kuramathi, but there are certainly better reefs for snorkeling if that is your priority.

EDIT: The Madivaru beside Kandolhu is not the same Madivaru Sologirl is talking about. That one is another island in the North Ari Atoll.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 21:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Darn edit timer. I meant to say the Madivaru beside Kuramathi, not Kandolhu.

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Yes reef for snorkeling is our priority and I do not insist only on these two options. As I said I read some discussions and someone recommend these resorts. There are too many options and too many opinions that I start to be lost. What would you recommend us? We want stay four nights and some resorts have min six nights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kuramathi vs nika

I'm not sure of your budget, but here is a list of the best reefs I have experienced in the Maldives:

Park Hyatt, Robinson Club, Six Senses Laamu, Mirihi, Angsana Ihuru, W Retreat, Athuruga

There are many more good reefs, but these are the ones that stand out the most in my opinion.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Madivaru Corner is a dive site about 8 minutes away from Kuramathi which is renowned for sightings (not guaranteed) of hammerhead sharks. Its a site for advanced divers given that it's a deep, blue water site and as the sharks travel at depths in excess of 30m you won't see them snorkelling. Kura may well organise snorkel trips to different reefs nearby but there will most likely be an extra charge for this.

As jpmaldivestraveller says there is also a resort called Madivaru in North Ari which is the cause for confusion.

An idea of your budget might attract a few more on target suggestions for your 4 nights in March. Have you also considered the cost of transfers? an island nearer to the airport with a speedboat transfer might better maximise your short stay.

London
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kuramathi vs nika

Nika does have a decent, very accessible house reef, but you are correct than Kuramathi's is better.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com