We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Need to make a decision soon ... With all the changes of ownership, staff etc has anyone been recently on either boat that can give some good (or bad) pointers for either??

Thanks

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Hi Lisa. I’ll try & be fair & unbiased as possible.

I’ve only ever been on the YP (twice) and am returning for my 3rd & 4th visit this Feb & April 2014, but I have followed the AE threads closely with interest & hopefully will one try her out one day if the price is right.

From my experience on my stay on the YP & what I have read on the AE posts, both cruises offer a similar holiday.

1. They both cruise around the Maldives Atolls (although the AE has now started a new route in the North only).

2. They both take you to desert islands and some resort & local islands

3. They both take you to some amazing reefs for snorkelling

4. Both offer some amazing diving run my experienced dive masters offering you the chance to see Manta Ray, Sharks, Marine Life of all shapes, sizes & colours …. and if you’re really lucky, the chance to swim along side a Whale Shark

5. Both have amazing food cooked by brilliant chefs

6. Both do AI drinks with great cocktails

7. Both have had a few problems recently that have now been resolved.

8. Both ships have dedicated fans who love their experience of their stay on the AE/YP.

Now the differences …

1. The AE is a little more upmarket in her appearance & service compared to the YP which is little older & what I like to call more ‘rustic’.

2. The AE has a little more organised in entertainment where as the YP is a little more relaxed. Saying that, both have organised night fishing & evening BBQ’s picnic islands. I think the AE also has a night where they have a DJ/Disco night as well a boduberu night (traditional Maldivian singing & music).

3. I believe the AE is slightly more expensive that the YP (well it was when I compared but it may be better for you to get quotes from both & see which works in your favour).

4. The AE has fewer rooms but some have balcony’s which may appeal to some guests

5. The AE has a enclosed bar where as the YP has a bar on the main deck which looks out to the sea (depending on where you are standing).

6. The YP has a open area at the rear of the shop where guests can sit and admire the amazing view.

7. If you consider booking the YP, make sure you booking one of the cruising weeks & not one of the weeks with an itinerary dedicated to divers

I hope his helps.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Thank you very much ... I think I/we will go on the arrghhhhh I still dont know!?! :o)

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

They are both good so I guess the deciding factor may be the cost, unless money is no object to your holiday. Which ever one you choose, you'll have an amazing time.

If you are interested, i have 2 blog/trip reports written on my experience on the YP. send me a PM & I'll send you the links.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-c156922/Mal…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-c189913/Mal…

These two articles have been edited this year to bring them up to date (at the time of the update) and may help a little. Some of the comments at the bottom of each article might help too.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

I don't know about the Yasawa Princess but the info on the link given above for Atoll Explorer is not completely up to date. The AE is now in a completely different part of the Maldives. Whilst the itinerary looks similar to previously, it is different. You can see the up to date info on www.atollexplorer.com. I haven't been on either boat in the past but am booked on AE for January 2014.

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

We have been on both, though obviously before all the complications. We had a very enjoyable time on the YP but would really only consider the AE for any future trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Can someone please give me an idea of what one week would cost on either of these boats?

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Dioz, the prices vary depending on the time of year you choose to go. Jan to end of April is considered peak. End of May to Nov is considered Monsoon season.

Your best bet is to actually contact both for prices: -

deepblueholidays.com/liveaboards/…

or

http://atollexplorer.co/wp/

Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

Yeah, I've had a look at both the websites but I Just need a ball park figure so I'll know whether to bother contacting them or not. It looks like it may not be do able price wise so just wanted an estimation maybe of what a week would cost.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atoll Explorer or Yasawa Express

YP prices are as follows .....

159USD per person per night Lower Main Deck

183USD per person per night Main Deck

190USD per person per night Upper Main Deck (Bridge)