We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Choice v Emirates Flights

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
First Choice v Emirates Flights

Looking at putting a package together for January 2007. Prices for return flights for 14 nights from Manchester are today £576 with Emirates, £579 with First Choice. Having read recent reports about improvements in First Choice and some not as complimentary as they used to be about Emirates, does direct flight with First Choice outweigh "quality" of Emirates?

Where's best place to get First Choice flights on-line. I've only looked at their own website so far?

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Hi,

We would go with the direct flight every time. For us, its much prefereble to get on the plane, and be in Male when you get off. Cant be doing with the stopovers. We wouldnt have any hesitation in flying with FC, although have never flown Emirates so cant comment on them either.

I have seen flight only on www.instantholidays.com, and expedia and opodo, but not sure if they would include FC or not. There is a flight price comparison website called www.skyscanner.com that may throw up some results for you too.

Regards, Lisa.

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Ooh - also meant to add, check the flight times with the Emirates for £576, as I have noticed that they are often departing Male at 02:50, which will mean a long wait at the airport or a day room at a local hotel - added expense and hassle (IMO anyway!).

Lisa.

Chester , England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Hi,

we went to Mexico last year with First Choice - we found them to be excellent - we are using them to go to Sun island for our honeymoon march 6 2007.

The leg room is great - I'm a big guy - 6' 3'' - had no problems at all, also took advantage of their day before book in - got rid of the suitcases, they give you one pass , next day return to a dedicated desk to get your boarding pass - no queuing , very easy and a nice start to the holiday.

Dave

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Thanks Guys & Gals. Yep. Flight departs Male 02:30 so point taken about long wait.

Mind you I'm waiting for accommodation rates for, among other islands, Fihaalhohi and Bandos, but I doubt whether booking flight and accom. separately will beat First Choice current website prices for packages. It's just that FC don't offer all accom. types on Bandos.

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Hi,

Yeah I see you problem with the accomm types. We have looked into booking out own flights and accoms separately, and we have never been able to beat the price of booking through a tour operator or travel agent, even without discounts.

Just for a laugh, I saw some good deals with Hayes & Jarvis a while back, but you should have seen the flight itinery - BMI to Gatwick, a five hour wait at Gatwick, then Sri Lankan Airways to Sri Lanka with an 8 hour wait there, then flights on to Male getting there at a time that would be too late for a seaplane transfer - who on earth would go for that??

Lisa.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

flew emirates last year and they were just fantastic.Ive yet to fly FC so cant comment on them yet.Emirates was half empty both ways.Staff great and planes new !!!

go with em any time .Late time back from Male was ok as we found things to do and landing in Dubai helps break the journey with a chance to stretch ya legs !!

cfc

London, England
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Hi,

I've flown on both airlines to the Maldives in the last 6 months so can offer a direct comparison.

Our flights with Emirates were very mixed. The London to DXB flight was fantastic. Loads of legroom (34"), great service and the entertainment package is fantastic - we flew on a Boing 777. The flights to and from Male from Dubai were on an airbus A330 and felt much, much more cramped. Legroom was only 31-32" and felt much tighter. Service was very mixed. Our flight back to Heathrow was also on an Airbus so again felt very cramped for a 7hr flight. Entertainment system the same on all flight is much better on Emirates than First Choice. I beleive that the flights from LGW and MAN use boing 777's all the time and I would in furture choose a LGW flight rather than Heathrow to avoid the cramped Airbus flights.

First choice flights were very nice, direct to and from Male from LGW with 33inches of seat pitch as standard. We however paid an extra £60 each to have extra legroom seating with increased our legroom to about 50inches - well worth the extra. Of course all drinks and snacks are chargeable on first choice and free on emirates.

I was actually disappointed with the shopping at Dubai if that is one of the reasons you are thinking of going via Dubai. Prices were quite high. For example the Raywond Weil diamond watch I bought at male airport was $600 more expensive at Dubai.

Personally, the departure time of the Emirates flight from male of 2.00am would put me off using this flight. The First Choice flight leaves at 11am so it is just up and out of the hotel first thing in the morning.

Personally I would choose the direct flight in the future if I had a choice but having priced up a Hayes and Jarvis holiday for 2007 they are actally charging a premium of £400 pp to travel on the First Choice flight over their base price which uses Quatar Airlines. It was about £250 extra for Emirates so H & J are charging more for FCA flights than for Emirates. GIven this choice I'd choose the Quatar flight!!

Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Just booked our third trip to Fihalhohi for November. Go into your local First Choice and see what you can get out of them. I got abetter deal in the shop than on the website. We got 14nights full board in comfort room, with upgraded flights to premium, insurance, a dive package, executive suite at airports, for £2300 for two. All in all we got over £650 in discounts.

I've never flown with emirates but really do like First choice plane. Flying times are sensible, it is direct and leg room is good (partner is 6'4"). My only miinor niggle from last times was that drinks (water) were not offered frequently enough for me.

jane

Lincoln UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

You will definately get a better deal booking a full package through First Choice and their leg room is actually better than when you travel with many scheduled flights eg British Airways or Virgin for instance, though of course you don't get the free drinks unless you upgrade to premium. Although Hayes and Jarvis are part of First Choice you would find the prices more expensive with them.

My advice would be to book the full package through First Choice and have the direct flight.

Whatever you decide have a great holiday.

spain
Level Contributor
813 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Choice v Emirates Flights

Arandora,

I flew emirates business to male via dubai in feb this year... I could not fault the journey. However the changing planes thing added too much time to an already long trip. It was nessesary for us to choose this route as Iwe chose to stopover in Dubai on the way home for a few days.

Dubai airport is both large and very busy. Whilst the airport offers some chance to streach your legs is not that great and not as nice as mony others like Gatwick , Hong Kong , Miami , KL and Singapore. The shopping was poor and I felt it was time wasted.

Next year I have booked FC direct. The price ( even premium ) is cheaper than last years Emirates flights and it shaves 6 hours of the journey.

My two penny worth says fly direct and upgrade if you can.

sunshinebob.