We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with resort choice

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Help with resort choice

The usual question.....

Grateful for advice on suitable resorts from the collected wisdom.

2 adults and 12y daughter heading to maldives in half term Feb 2014. Flights already sorted.

Would like a special maldivian experience in a good quality water villa and resort.

Budget up to £8000 including transfers, ideally all-inclusive or to cover all eating/drink if non-AI.

Would like good snorkelling from the beach to help keep myself and my daughter entertained (not looking to scuba).

Not worried whether seaplane or boat transfer but the seaplane sounds exicting. Would like some kids activies although at 12y, daughter is also happy sun-bathing and reading.

1. was thinking of constance moofushi, Anantara Dhigu,Centara Grand Island Resort or lilly beach. Are there any others you would recomend in at this price?

2. If Half-Board, what allowance per day do you think is reasonble to cover cold drinks/lunch and bottle of wine to come in at budget?

3, I can see that purely maldives, Best@Travel and Destinology have been mentioned as travel agent options - any others?

Many Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,812 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with resort choice

anantara dhigu has no snorkeling from the beach . constance moofushi not very good . lily and centara grand are both ok for your preferences . did you check availability this late for the high season?

Level Contributor
2,555 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with resort choice

Constance Moofushi - not available for all of your dates in either WV type.

Centara Grand - Deluxe WV / Luxury Sunset WV are available. Deluxe Family WV not available.

Lily Beach - Lagoon Villa (not available on 18th) / Deluxe WV available all dates.

Also possibly consider :-

CP Dhunikolhu Lagoon Villa

Velidhu Water Bungalow

Filitheyo WV

Veligandu WV

CP Boduhithi WV

Constance Halaveli WV with pool

Vakarufalhi WV

Six Senses Lat Laamu Lagoon WV

Maafushivaru WV

Zitahli Kuda Funafaru Deluxe Aqua Villa

Dusit Thani Water Villa with Pool

Ayada Ocean Villa

The above suggestions are in budget - but your agent would need to do some final checks on a couple of your dates.

Best wishes

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Level Contributor
283 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with resort choice

try jai at travellab he gives an excellent service and very good prices

Good luck with your search

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,812 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with resort choice

well Richard has given you a comprehensive list of what is within your range and actually available .. which is not much this late in the game . looks like maafushivaru and vakaru are also contenders besides centara and lily beach

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with resort choice

Having been to the majority of the islands listed by Richard, I would mention that the resorts there range from basic to very luxurious. Six Senses Laamu has the best reef from that list and an amazing water villa design, but the reef is not accessible from the beach. I wouldn't say it is difficult to access, but it can be inconvenient if you are not allocated a villa in the right part of the island. In addition, the resort can only be reached by domestic flight transfer (not an issue for me personally but YMMV).

From that list, several others do have good reefs directly accessible from the beach. It depends just how nice a water villa you are looking for. As an example: Velidhu has a great reef that is close to the beach, but the water villas are very small and basic.

Besides spammie's suggestions, I would also add Zitahli Kuda-Funafaru. The water villas are huge and have a real wow factor. The reef is good and accessible from the beach, although not as good as the other islands recommended so far. That being said, the island has a distinct Maldivian ambiance and is incredibly beautiful with a very low room density. I prefer it over Lily Beach and certainly over Centara Grand (very overdeveloped and not a very Maldivian experience).

Ayada is a resort that is currently on my radar, but it is also a domestic flight transfer like Six Senses Laamu. Pictures of the reef posted by visitors suggests the reef is excellent. The water villas also look very luxurious and stunning. Dusit Thani is another resort I'm very interested in. The water villas look beautiful and luxurious, plus the reef runs very close all the way around the island. The reef is less good compared to the ones in the Ari or southern atolls, but it should still meet your expectations for good snorkeling.

Level Contributor
3,724 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with resort choice

Is your budget for 1 week or 2?

Will make a big difference.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with resort choice

For travel agent also try Stylish Resorts.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with resort choice

Travellab and Stylish Resorts are the two we booked our last 4 Maldives holidays with - both great prices and service!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with resort choice

we went with tropical sky this year. £800 cheaper than destinology and cheaper than all the above mentioned. Give them (and all the others) a go and see which is the most competitive.

10. Re: Help with resort choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:17