We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuradu in August, whale sharks

devon
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Kuradu in August, whale sharks

Hello all

I was wondering if it was possible to see whale sharks in August from kuradu.

I am an experienced diver and will get in a lot of dives but there is no mention of whale sharks on the pro diver web site.

Many thanks

Jeff

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

You can't: to see the whaleshark you need to go to Baa Atoll or south Ari Atoll...

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

Jeff

Unfortunately you won't see whale sharks in this atol ,but on the up side you have a good chance of Mantas ,turtles ,other big sharks and other big marine animals ;-)

Good luck

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

I think Darryl that depends on your definition of " big" lol. In comparison to a stone fish..,yes, in comparison to a whale shark,,,not so much....:-))

devon
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

Many thanks for your quick replies, I suppose I will just have to make do with sharks, turtles, rays and other assorted glorious marine life, can't wait,

All the best

Jeff

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

I would agree South Ari and Baa generally are best for whalesharks but never say never - a whaleshark was reported off Kuredu in September this year but it was noted as a very rare sighting.

prodivers.com/blog/…more-4868

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

A Manta can have a span of over 7 mtrs across ,so I think we can call that big ,and I'm sure Jeff would be more than happy to see one ;-)

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

True story..:-))

8. Re: Kuradu in August, whale sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17