We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
788 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Hi,

We are trying to decide between Huvafen Fushi or Cocoa Island for a holiday next March. We are leaning towards Cocoa Island as I like the laid back look of it and whilst most of the reviews are brilliant there are a few who comment about the closeness of 5 other islands "spoiling the view" including the distant view at night of lights from the prison island. I know we sound fussy but we have been to the Maldives before so it does make you picky – our favourites being Conrad Rangali and Filitheyo and our least Baros (we loved Baros island but not the Male view or sea walls)! We want great snorkelling and beach and on this occasion are choices are limited as we want to be a speedboat ride from Male for health reasons. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

I've not stayed on cocoa but sailed past it a few times and last month flew over it from an internal flight . Close up on the boat it looks great. Not many on here talk about cocoa . Maybe wait or look at google earth. From above it's not far from kandooma but I couldn't say what was visible. Floating past, the views didnt look bad as far as I can remember

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Is there a house reef/ good snorkelling at Cocoa?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Cocoa is pretty close in proximity to Biyadhoo, Guraidhoo (local inhabited island) Maafushi (the local island where the prison is located), Villivaru and Kandooma. I think you will see something of all of them - we could certainly see Cocoa from Biya. If the following link works Cocoa is in the middle with the long sand spit.

www.flashearth.com/…

Plus there can be some passing liveaboard traffic on the way to their overnight stop near Guraidhoo for channel diving there.

It is apparently a very scenic island with excellent dining but I got the impression that the snorkelling was perhaps not be as good as some other islands - but then it depends what pleases you as fish life is supposed to be good but coral growth poor.

Unfortunately I think you'll struggle to get that 'away from it all' feel with most of the resorts within speedboat distance of Male - especially in comparison to your two favorites which were further away and by sea plane.

Without knowing your budget etc how about Huvafen Fushi or Angsana Ihuru?,

Berkshire
Level Contributor
788 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Thanks Heather. We were aware that the snorkeling at Cooca was less about the coral and more about the fish life which suits us it was just the other island aspect we were concerned about. Our other option is Huvafen Fushi - what are your thoughts on t? From google earth it looks to be more isolated than Cocoa?

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

I have been to both resorts and prefer Huvafen Fushi, which I found to be better in almost every aspect. It is certainly a more luxurious island in my experience, and the villas are beautiful and stunning. The standard Dhoni Suites at Cocoa Island are quite small and tired. I don't think you will find wow factor in Cocoa Island unless you are splurging for the very expensive One Bedroom Villas at the end of the jetty.

Both Huvafen Fushi and Cocoa Island are small and intimate resorts. I'd say Cocoa Island has the edge in natural beauty of the island, as it has less buildings and structures cluttering the beach. I don't recall any sea defenses at Cocoa Island, whereas there are a few groynes on the beach at Huvafen Fushi. You also can't walk around the island on the beach at Huvafen Fushi because it's blocked by the pool and a restaurant while you can at Cocoa Island. There is also a gorgeous sandbank at Cocoa Island, and I found the lagoon more beautiful than Huvafen Fushi's.

Reef wise, Huvafen Fushi is indeed much better for corals. Cocoa Island has quite a bit of bleaching, but the marine life is very abundant due to its location at the edge of the atoll and a busy channel.

However, the location of Cocoa Island means you do see several other islands in view. There is busy boat traffic around this particular channel, and you can hear the call to prayer from the inhabited islands. At night, you do see lights from the other islands. Unless you are looking for total darkness for stargazing, I don't think the lights detract too much from the beauty of the island. They do take away the total feeling of isolation though, as you are constantly aware of being surrounded by several inhabited islands. That being said, I didn't find the visible islands to be ugly or industrial. It certainly wouldn't be like having a close-up view of Malé. Here is a picture, so you can decide if something like this would bother you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Cocoa_Island_(Maldives)-27.jpg

If complete isolation is essential, then Huvafen Fushi is indeed much better in this regard. You cannot see Malé from this distance, and other islands are much too far away to be visible as more than specks of green in the horizon. There is also much less boat traffic, which adds to that remote atmosphere. Huvafen Fushi is one of my favorites in the luxury class in the Maldives, and I would definitely rate it above Baros or Conrad Rangali for the overall experience.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

You feel completely alone in HF. You can see very far Coco Bodu Hithi...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Stayed in the Kandooma and we saw Cocoa in a distance, see photo 5/11 of my photos in my review at below link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298335-d316…

Both islands are in a relatively busy channels if compare with other islands we've been too, we also noticed the lights came from other islands at night. To be honest, it does not give me the remote feeling as other resorts likes Dusit Thani, Park Hyatt and W which are located at the middle of the atoll and without close islands nearby.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
788 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

Thank you - this is really helpful!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

We stayed at Cocoa for our honeymoon a couple of years ago. Yes we could see a couple of islands but it didn't spoil things for us. We did see some boats each day but didn't find them intrusive.

Light pollution wasn't an issue - we would stand and look at the stars each night after dinner.

Sea life was great - I didn't snorkel to the drop off so I can't comment on the state of the coral.

We stayed in a dhoni loft suite and it was lovely - when we were looking for a resort the furnishings of the suite didn't look to be my style but I went with my husbands choice and am so glad I did. We would return in a second. We would love to go back in the next couple of years.

10. Re: Cocoa Island - view of other islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17