We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Bangalore
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

My husband and I are travelling for our honeymoon/babymoon to the Maldives in Feb 2013. I am looking for resort recommendations for my needs below..

- beach villa (with privacy between the villas and not stuck one against the other)

- luxury resort (5 star, and preferably child free)

- good Maldivian food

- great snorkeling (I am a diver that cant dive cause I am pregnant)

- budget about 10K(ish) USD incl transfers and food

I have spent a long time researching and the more time I spend the more confused I get, so am hoping recos here will solve the problem for me :P

Edited: 03 December 2013, 17:54
Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Do you still prefer a speed boat ride like you mentioned in your other thread? If not, have a look at Mirihi and Athuruga. Excellent reefs and food, both 5 star - Mirihi being the best on all accounts but more expensive too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

How many nights is that budget for? The best house reef in the Maldives is at Park Hyatt, which also conveniently happens to meet your requirements for 5-star luxury, privacy, and amazing food.

Athuruga and Mirihi have very good to excellent reefs too and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them usually, but they are definitely not what I consider 5-star luxury resorts. Both of them would rate in the upper end of 4-stars in my book. Beach villas at Athuruga and Mirihi are also not detached units and quite densely packed together in the case of Athuruga, so those don't fit your requirement for "privacy between the villas and not stuck one against the other".

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,925 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

she mentioned 7 days in the other thread

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Actually, I should clarify my post. There are a few detached beach villas at Athuruga, but I ruled them out due to your requirements for 5-star luxury and privacy (they are very close to one another).

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Thank you, Spammie. I did a dummy booking for 7 nights just to see the range of prices, and Park Hyatt would fit your budget in February. Even a full-board plan is in budget, though I highly recommend just going with B&B and paying for meals on the island.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

I can second the recommendation for Park Hyatt. I was there this June, and it was the best resort we've ever been to. Certainly the most beautiful and best snorkeling and food we've had.

Athuruga and Mirihi were also on my initial list when I was doing my planning last year since Park Hyatt wasn't very well known or even recommended on this forum. If I wasn't looking for something more luxurious, I would have booked them. I agree with jpmaldives that they are more 4 stars when you compare with the true 5 star resorts like Park Hyatt, W Retreat, Conrad, etc.

I think W Retreat would also fit your requirements well if you are put off by the remoteness of Park Hyatt. It is 13+ only, so no children at all. According to the posters who have been, the reef is supposed to be quite excellent.

London
Level Contributor
750 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Definitely W followed by hyatt

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

PHH undoubtedly has great food but not a great deal is what i would call Maldivian

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Nuno, would you say W has better snorkeling than Park Hyatt?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxury, privacy and great food n snorkelling

Not sure many resorts are known for their abundance of Maldivian food,,,?