We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from UK

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from UK

Do any airlines fly direct to Male, or if not which are the best routes with the shortest flight/stop off times. I am in the very early stages of planning a trip. Watch out because I'll be back for expert advice in Islands/resort next !

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from UK

You can only fly direct from Gatwick.

For scheduled, indirect look at Emirates, Qatar, Etihad for starters.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from UK

Depends on when you are planning on travelling.

Thomson are flying direct from Gatwick until April next year, then the only direct flight will be BA, also from Gatwick.

There are a number of other airlines that fly to Male via the middle east, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar namely although Sri Lankan still offer a service via Colombo and Turkish go via Istanbul.

With any stop over it is wise to allow a few hours for transfers etc.

We've previously done BA and Emirates and have chosen to go Emirates again next year. For us, BA was not worth the premium.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from UK

Definitely BA every time, because it is non-stop and there is no risk of being stranded in Middle East due to bad weather etc. Flight times are good too, you can choose seat easily online, and get air miles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from UK

Karen use sky scanner to find the various scheduled flight options, it's effectively a search tool.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from UK

Hi Karen G

Oman Air is also going now via Muscat. Sri Lanka via Colombo is generally not good for connection times. We thought Turkish were good last year with excellent business class fares.Emirates have the best connections and number of flights but also the dearest

Regards

Doug

Edited: 16 December 2013, 09:59
6. Re: Flights from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:06
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,351 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from UK

I'm Curious as I haven't been for a couple of years and went direct with BA. For me it is the only option.

Do Sri Lanka fly via SL one way and direct the return. I seem to remember that was mooted.

I understood it was 13hrs going and the 10 or so coming back. Which wouldn't be too bad.

I don't seem to have heard about them since they changed route.

NORWICH
Level Contributor
206 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from UK

BA direct from Gatwick we've always had excellent service and flight, in Feb though we're on the Dreamliner which is direct but I think Thomson are stopping Maldives next summer

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from UK

I did a random search recently on the Hayes and Jarvis website and I was very surprised when I looked through the alternative flights (they offer the very cheapest first), to find that the direct flights with BA were only about an additional £227! And most of the indirect flights had pretty awful connection timings, 9 hours in Dubai airport and so on. At that rate, I wouldn't hesitate to take the BA direct flights, which have the best timings also. The extra cost is small, given that the holiday total will be £6k - £7k anyway.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from UK

I can't see the point in going indirect unless there is a large financial saving. That is why in the past I have stuck to the Gatwick charters of Monarch and FC/Thomson. Next year will try BA. Their flight prices are now very competitive and so are their packages.

It's just a shame I cannot convince them to add Embudu to their books, ideal budget island for me. Travelbag now go to this island but all payment is upfront.