We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black tip reef sharks

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Black tip reef sharks

Anyone been approached by these? I was told by everyone I met they are timid and you won't get close to them.

This is true with the little ones on the shore but I was approached at least 3 times by larger sharks and wondered if this is normal.

On one occasion, one around 5ft came right up to the camera, circled round and then came back and then did it a 3rd time, got it in video. This was in shallow water about 10m from the beach.

I was pretty scared at the time, is this normal?

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black tip reef sharks

P.s not trying to scare anyone just wondered if this is normal as everyone I spoke to shrugged it off with "sharks in Maldives are vegetarian" with a grin.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black tip reef sharks

I wouldn't say it was normal. They are normally indifferent and just pass you by. Although at PHH the sharks were more inquisitive, possibly because its a fairly new island, and the reef has not been snorkelled as much ( and indeed the entire atoll only has 4 or 5 resorts, all small to a bit bigger in size so less tourists about)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black tip reef sharks

Isn't one of the more commonly quoted stats is that there has never been a reported shark attack in the maldives ?

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black tip reef sharks

Hi Paul, yeah I thought it was odd, it was certainly interested in either the camera or me.

Also yea I have heard that before and I have to question it. It's been documented black tips have accidentally bit the legs of waders in other countries. Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I'm sure someone has been bit at least once somewhere in the Maldives.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black tip reef sharks

When out snorkelling in Mirihi I observed a white tipped zooming past me - v close - and then subsequently directly below other snorkellers. So no, don't agree they keep their distance either. At Baros, never encountered any baby sharks but plenty of adult ones. We referred to them as 'frisky' as they moved about very fast, never saw them approach and more than once startled us lol. I don't use a silver camera just in case and don't wear shiny jewellery but that's more to prevent other fish taking a nibble - I think Spammie was bitten by powder blue surgeon fish :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black tip reef sharks

Oh and also don't wade in lagoon - last time when I stood up to remove fins I looked down to find I was an inch next to sting ray rolling its eyes at me - it did not move though lol

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black tip reef sharks

karla

That ray must have been female lol

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,114 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black tip reef sharks

lol karla ! yes I was . taught me to take earrings off before getting in the water where they become fishing lures :)

Kenny .. not its not a common occurrence . you got lucky to see one this close !

I have really only been touched by them once during a night drift dive when my torch failed and while I was banging on it and fiddling for the back up , I became a bit separated from the group. a blacktip came and explored and bumped into me with his snout a couple times . he was just checking out what on earth I was . I swear I heard him grumbling when it turned out I was just one of these nasty latex skinned fish with the really hard,crunchy backs .

one time I was on a dive with skibum from this forum . diving through a cavern , he was swimming on his back to gaze at stunning soft coral on the ceiling and ended up running smack into 2 sleeping back tips who were very indignant about the rude awakening . I lost a lot of air laughing . skibum came out of the encounter intact of course - laughing too.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black tip reef sharks

just thinking out loud there........ is there anything more scary in the Maldives than an angry/nest defensive Titan?. Its certainly the scariest thing i have come across

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black tip reef sharks

Paul, you haven't seen sharks in Baros, they are very big...

But yes, titans aren't friendly... I have stopped snorkelling sometimes because I was afraid of them at Anantara kihavah: they were following me...