We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

London, England...
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

I'm looking to go to the Maldives in May (3 years late Honeymoon) and just wondering if it is worth paying the extra for AI or just B+B and paying for 2 meals a day and snacks, I'm not to concerned about drinks as we don't drink much alcohol so it will mainly be soft drinks and water.

as having looked on virgin your paying anything up to £2000 extra for AI on a 10 night holiday.

Any advice would be good thanks our budget is £2000PP for the 10 nights

London, United...
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Hi I am going next week and have decided to stay B n B and not upgrade to all inclusive. I obtained a price list for the meals and drinks and it worked out a lot better option and cheaper sticking with b n b

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Just request the menus and do the math, no one can really advise you as we don't know your consumption habits and we are all different.

Normally if you don't really drink then B and B is the best option, but if you like a pre lunch beer, some wine with your meal, a late afternoon cocktail, a few drinks after dinner etc it usually works out ai is cheaper. Much also depends on the resort itself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

I should say the other thing to look at is lunch. Do you usually eat lunch and how much does it cost to eat what you would like to eat at that time of day.

As said, it's all about the math.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

If you're not a big drinker then AI is probably overkill as on most holiday locations you won't get your money's worth unless you're having a few beers or a bottle of prosecco/champagne with your meal, cocktails throughout the day etc.

As other people have mentioned, some food is not included in AI anyway.

For example, on Kuredu and Meeru, neither include pizza or fillet steak in their AI. They are a la carte dining charged extra in different restaurants. Best bet is to contact the island and see what their prices/food options are or see if anyone else here knows.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Well I'm not sure you need to drink that much lol to make it worth while...cocktails through the day, beer and wine. Lol.

The important thing is to be honest with yourself when doing the math and remember to factor in soft drinks and water, you need to stay hydrated. You want to have a honeymoon where you kick back and have what you want and relax, not count every penny and order accordingly to bring it in below ai cost and worry about the money.

Where is it you are going?

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Haha, my typical day consists of:

Full english breakfast with tea, orange juice, another orange juice.

Mid morning coke/sprite.

Post morning snorkel beer

Lunch accompanied by soft drink and/or Beer

Afternoon post snorkel cocktails

Dinner with beer and/or prosecco/wine

Evening cocktails...

I'm only 12stone as well so god knows what the big guys drink on AI haha...

No wonder I kept waking up in the middle of the night in my water villa trying to turn the taps off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Ours is the same and we do find ai tends to be better, we don't think about cost at all. On top of yours though we would probably also have a couple more soft drinks and some more water as well. Maybe a coffee late morning etc.

It's the captive audience thing, you are stuck on a small island and we only snorkel for a couple of hours a day or so, and go on the occasional boat trip, and you can't sunbathe for too long unless you are in shade, so sometimes, especially if bad weather hits, spending some time at the bar, reading or playing games is the only option if you don't want to stay in your room.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Very true.

I personally, love the feeling of going on holiday knowing everything is paid for. No worrying about the price of water or what the end bill is going to be etc and you don't feel guilty finishing your pasta and going up for round 2.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 14:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Yes or working your way through the cocktail menu and leaving the ones you don't like, or ordering a drink and not fully finishing it.,,,but everyone is different and some people are very disciplined, do have low consumption habits and B and B is the best option rather than an ai or select ai option.

Plus also budget plays a big part in it.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive or B+B in the Maldives

Yeah.

For us, the Maldives on an empty stomach would be infinitely times better than Mexico with unlimited food and drinks. I'll certainly work the maths out next time but still think we'd go for AI and save longer if we have to :-)