We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

I would very much appreciate direction on selecting resorts for a stay in the Maldives....

I will be traveling to the Maldives on my honeymoon with my future husband in October 2014 (10/3/2014 - 10/9/2014).

Our budget is $1000 - $1500 USD for a Water Villa.

Our most important features are:

1) Overwater bungalow that has unobstructed views of the ocean from every room; with outdoor lounge area (pluge pool is a plus but not required)

2) Island far away from the airport. We want to visit an island that is further away from the bigger city in order to avoid light/noise pollution.

3) Island Beauty / Snorkeling. We are looking for an island with a nice house reef. We are not avid snorkelers (have snorkeled in Hawaii and Carribbean) but would like to see something different.

4) Smaller resort geared towards couples (looking to avoid kids).

5) Would prefer resort with good variety and quality in food (does not need to be AI)

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

It's impossible: if you don't want to be close to Male, you need to pay a seaplane, which is 800-1000$, so you have 0-500$ for the resort: there's no way you can do it, unless you increase your budget and take a speedboat instead a seaplane.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

My apologies... I left out a key part of the budget. Our budget is $1000 - $1500 per night. The total budget for the 6 nights is $9000.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

park hyatt hadahaa comes to mind

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

I second spammie's recommendation for Park Hyatt. Hadahaa is a small (50 villas) and very naturally beautiful island that is also one of the furthest (400km south) from the airport. The food is amazing and the atmosphere very quiet and couples-oriented. In addition, it has the reputation of having the best house reef in the Maldives. I have not seen a better resort reef, and I have been to almost all of the top-rated ones. It is my favorite island out of the dozens I have had the pleasure of visiting, and it would definitely be my choice with that kind of budget.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

Yes, Park Hyatt is a good idea, but I would go to a Park Villa with pool, because water villas hasn't a pool and are more expensive than PV with pool. But the main reason is that they aren't as prívate as other water villas in Maldives: you can be seen in your deck from the water villas jetty and the reef in front of them is quite good, so you can see snorkellers around (though this isn't a big problem).

I would also consider Baros, though is in north Male Atoll and you can see Male very far in the distance, though no from water villas or water villas with pool (you have both options): excellent food, service, no kids under 8. When we were there there were only couples. No noise at all around and you'll only see a very far lights ian the distance when dining, what we actually liked. Anyway most resorts have resort islands or local islands around, so you can see lights in the night.

And though it might exceed your budget, I'd check also Huvafen Fushi: is also in north Male Atoll but you can't see Male as it's very far, and it ticks the rest of your requeriments. It has a good reef, a little better than Baros reef but no so good as Park Hyatt reef.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

I was at Park Hyatt in June, and can also highly recommend it. It really is as amazing as everyone says. I split my stay between the beach villa w/o pool and the water villa. It's true that you can see the jetty from the water villa deck, so I would recommend staying in one as far at the end as possible for maximum privacy. We had #50, and we never saw anyone walking past. The lowest numbers get more people walking past and don't have a lot of privacy on the decks. I'm going back next year but this time in the pool villa like Maria recommended.

7. Re: Requesting help on selecting resort!! So many options!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18