We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done research but have specific question

london
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Done research but have specific question

I have read a lot of posts as to best house reef etc bit I am coming from a slightly different angle. I am going with best friend (1 girl 1 boy) and we normally share a twin on holidays. Our priority is top house reef - kandolhu sounds good - but as we are not honeymooners we definitely want somewhere that we can at least have a tv and DVD, wifi even better along with twin or somehow extra bed,( although on other holidays we have pushed it to 1 bed suite with sofa bed in lounge) I know it sounds criminal in a place of such beauty but there is only so much reading as opposed to canoodling that we can do!

I have read so much thati am beginning to think I might just try the Caribbean! We want to go for 2 weeks in April - maybe we would be a bit bored in one place for 2 weeks? So..question is

Great house reef with tv/DVD - any suggestions?

Ideally dont want it to be a v long winded transfer from Male.

We are not into big places - smaller would be good,-Any help would be great.

By the way a very old poster suggested sevenholidays.com which I found to be useful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done research but have specific question

PLEASE ignore Q from London Piggy - an old username and email - got confused!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done research but have specific question

You have said a lot of requeriments, but no the most important one: budget...

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Done research but have specific question

Sorry not very helpful!

Maybe £3000 ish pp. I do go up in budget if really spectacular but as we are friends and not honeymooners I'm not sure this is the place to go all in, as private pool etc aren't high on the list for us.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done research but have specific question

Hi

For good snorkeling try ....

Mirihi

Athuruga

Vilamendhoo

Robinson Club

All subject to budget .

Darryl

england
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Done research but have specific question

I have been to both athuruga and Robinson Club. In your situation I would pick Robinson Club. It is a place where if you want to be more social, you can be. If you want to join in there is lots going on and the reef is amazing. If you have any questions about either Athuruga or RC then ask away. I would give a really strong vote for RC on your requirements. Plus the food is excellent.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Done research but have specific question

are we talking about april 2014 ? if yes, your first step should be to contact a good travel agent (purely Maldives is often recommended on this forum) and find out which resorts even have any availability left for the upcoming high season . many of the most desirable islands will be well booked solid . I suggest you get a list of available islands asap and come back with that short list and we will gladly advise . your options will narrow with each hour you wait .. Darryl has made extremely good suggestions - if any of these islands are still in play , you won't go wrong

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Done research but have specific question

I'm curious as to the context of the " smaller" request. Smaller than what please? what would you be comparing it to?

I ask because when you say " smaller" in the Maldives then people talk about islands you walk around in ten mins,,ie athuruga. Is this what you mean?

Also when you say " great reef" in comparison to what please? Again the context is actually really important.

Unless you have been to some spectacular reefs, I would recommend somewhere like kuramathi , bigger by Maldivian standards but smaller than something in Mexico or Dubai for example. You can walk round the whole thing in thirty mins or so. It has several restaurants and a decent reef. The room density is very low, so it feels very private. Everything is very spaced out.

It's also either a short flight or a boat trip from male. They say 90 mins I think by speedboat, but in reality it's about 60.

I agree with onon that rc would be a great choice, but it's a domestic flight ( as opposed to sea plane) and then boat to get to it from male and if you don't want a long winded transfer, then that could put it out of the running.

The beauty of somewhere like kuramathi is you are not going to get bored. So, the context of smaller and great reef needs to be quantified I think,,,,:-))

Edited: 22 December 2013, 20:37
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Done research but have specific question

Have you considered an atol hopping cruise? We are going on the Yaswra Princess as I could'n't decide on an island and it seemed a good compromise.

We are going for the snorkelling aspect and I think it will be more varied than just one reef.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Done research but have specific question

Thanks for all the help. Darrypaula, I have mirihi and vilamendoo in my scribbles. I hadn't realised that finding a twin bed will also prove a challenge. Mihiri was recommended as affordable and has twin and wifi. Vilamendo on,y king. Thanks 0n0n for info about RC - it was on the list to start so I will re-read about it to see why I discounted it )maybe only king bed?) As froggylondon says it might have been because of transfer - but when I look and I might have to wait hours for.a connection from another island that Isuppose it depends on the timetable of the transfer rather than whether its just plane /boat. So many things to think about!

I appreciate comments about 'smaller resorts. I suppose I just mean I don't want somewhere where every one is crowded too much but think you are right bigger one would be better for us in terms of a little bit more to do.

I think what I will try to do is whittle thingsv down but some I will have to email them to check if they could split king bed. For example Veligandu looked good but would have to check bed.

Again when you ask about good reef I suppose I have read so much I was worried about some house reefs quite damaged or dead/bleached coral or somewhere that a boat tour turns up all the time to snorkel.

Maybe all this reading has got me all a bit pedantic! It's just I know it's going to be a lot of money and I want to try and get the right place.

Finally as Spammie points out, I am going to try and make a list before getting on the phone tomorrow to agents see if any match!

Thank you all for getting me back on focus and I will now go back and remind myself about those places, see what transfers are like etc

If there is anything else you reckon I should look at please suggest away! Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Done research but have specific question

veligandu is a lovely island but the reef is pretty much dead .