We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Hi everyone,

We've just returned from Jamaica where we got married on 2nd December. It was initially planned that would be our weddingmoon, however, a weddingmoon isn't really a honeymoon and I want a proper honeymoon. Anyway, I've ALWAYS wanted to go to the Maldives but have ended up settling for other places, for a variety of reasons eg. Cost, weather (time of year), etc.

After returning to the "sunny" UK in the midst of Winter with the holiday blues (yuck) we've decided to have our Honeymoon in the Maldives this coming April. So, now we know which country, we just need to decide the rest.

Please can anybody, who's actually been, help me with a few questions?

1. What is Adaaran Select Meedhupaaru like for a honeymoon destination? Pros and cons

2. Which islands have hotels/resorts with swimming pools, or is a pool really not necessary here?

3. Adaaran Select, as all inclusive, is it beneficial to go AI or would HB/FB suffice?

4. How do you find the star ratings? Are the hotels/resorts scored quite rigidly or are their 3 stars more like a 1 star rating?.

Any comments, hints, tips as need to get this booked by end of January 2014 are greatly appreciated.

Thank you, in advance for reading this!. Happy. New Year to you all!

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Hi all,

Yes, the flight is the 15:00hrs one, Emirates.

There is SO much to look into. I've had a look at loads of reviews, pictures, websites etc and my head is just spinning!. A lot of info to digest.

This might seem like a stupid question (apologies in advance) but does marine life get within the sea walls? I cant comprehend the size of these walls from pictures and how obtrusive/intrusive they'd be.

There seems to be pros and cons with all of the options given by the travel agent. I'm wondering if I should wait until low season to get a better island for my money? More bang for my buck!.

You are all so helpful and i appreciate it!

Heather, it's not too bad this side of the Malverns, however, my horse would rather be a duck at the moment!

South West
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

OK, I've had a quick search around and Thomson Tailormade have Veligandu for less than £4000 (£3,990) leaving on Friday 28th March from Heathrow. If you want a direct BA flight from Gatwick it's £4,643. I would say that Veligandu is a step up from most of the islands suggested so far, its FB not AI but the food is fantastic. Accomodation is a beach villa but even the cheapest of these have outdoor gardens with a proper jacuzzi and are steps away from the beach. If you don't mind the flight times I think this would be a great deal at under £4,000. If you want to upgrade to a Jacuzzi water villa it's an extra £742.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

>>Does marine life get within the sea walls?<<

Are you thinking of Ellaidhoo - if so the answer is yes there is life within the area between the walls - not quite the same as out on the reef though.

The area between the walls is like a lagoon, sandy bottomed but with some coral blocks and a dead coral area where I've seen lobsters in maybe a 60/90 cm of water. Shrimps and blennies create burrows in the sand floor (you need patience to get close), there's a rock which most people swim right over and ignore but on closer inspection it is home to a family of Sexy Shrimp, fish congregate around the blocks and in the wall itself- a couple of Banded Coral Shrimps has made their home there and I've only ever seen them whilst diving on other reefs, there is usually a good sized shoal of juvenile bat fish in residence plus big shoals of juvenile reef fish, smaller sharks, rays, moray eels and large trevallies and jacks all visit. The area is calm for those who are not confident in the water but is also great for calm night snorkelling.

The inner wall is below you line of vision. You step up onto it, its about 20-30cm above the ground level, then you go down steps into the water probably about 1 - 1.5 m. The outer sea defense is very visible, if the seas are rough and the waves crash over the top you begin to appreciate why - without either of the walls the beach would be washed away as the island sits in a channel and there can be some strong currents. There is no denying it does detract but it doesn't bother us.

As divers we don't spend much time in our room and snorkel and dive in sun or rain. Going off season will save you money but you have to factor in the greater chances of rain so its better to go for a longer stay to mitigate for that possibility. The weather does have an effect on visibility in the water - if there is cloud the reef will not look as vibrant (there will still be fish and maybe a different set of fish to those you see on a sunlit reef) and unsettled weather will put more sand into the water column further hampering how far/clearly you can see. After our last 14 days in October included 10 washed out days I would like to return in high season for the vibrancy but this means budget resorts with good reefs for us and Ellaidhoo with its great diving suits us well.

Have just sunk upto my ankles in my lawn so I have an idea of how your horse feels!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Rydal...be careful, there are 2 beach villas on Veligandu that are old staff quarters that have been refurbished. They are not Jacuzzi beach villas.

It has come up here before as they are the cheapest rooms.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298323-i9264-k4…

South West
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Jody, these 5 former beach villas (203-207) have been fully refurbished and are now equipped with jacuzzis, stayed in one last September and can confirm they represent something if a bargain compared to the rest of the accommodation options. Working on the basis of cheapest room on best island they make for a fantastic quality cheapest room!

Edited: 04 January 2014, 16:04
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

That's interesting to know! They have come up a few times as I know FC were offering them and initially people thought they were JBVs. Not a bad price for Veli then :)

South West
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

Just to clarify there are 5 'beach villas' (which still have jacuzzis) and, I think, 15 or so 'deluxe Jacuzzi villas'. The rest are water villas. I am not aware of another 2 villas that are still beach villas without a jacuzzi or are inferior in any way to the 5 I mentioned.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

You sound like me - research holidays to death but has always paid off, not had a bad one yet!

If there's any chance you could delay til May or June you will get so much more for the same money and we've been 3 times in June and had stunning weather.

My favourites have been Filitheyo and Reethi Beach, both good quality islands with choice of accommodation, pool, good reef for snorkelling and nice atmospheres. For what we paid they'd be in budget but I know prices do up every year... You could also look at Vilamendhoo and don't rule out Ellaidhoo I did lots of forum research and it's def on my list for he future.

40. Re: Maldives Newbie - help/advice greatly appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19