We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Equator trip

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Equator trip

Just wondering if anyone out there has actually done this trip. I really wanted to do it last time but the price ($2500) put me off . But if anyone has done it and can recommend it I might change my mind

London
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

Hmmm...you are going between two atolls in the open water. It seems like just another open water boat ride.

It reminds me of the apocryphal tale of the person did embark on such a cruise and got upset when they got to the geographical point that there was nothing to see. I guess they thought that there would be some marker (like the poles they definitely have at the "South Pole" and mythically have at the North Pole). The tale goes that the captain plucked a long hair from his head and stretched it across the lens of his telescope and had the person look through it. Seeing the line on the water, they were content.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

2. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 16:53
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

Actually the map ihave has totally confused me Bruce - you might be right - duh on me lol

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

Even more confused as the website says it if just 55 km north of the equator which isn't far at all

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,114 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

for that kinda money .. just fly to oz for a few days

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

Hello

I have crossed the line a few times when travelling on a domestic flight - they bring you a nice certificate as a keepsake. No tot of rum though due to Muslim regulations.

Thanks

Richard

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

I have done it on international flights. I would certainly not pay 2. 5 k specifically to do it in the Maldives. Agree with what I think bruce is saying,,,,something akin to the emperors new clothes,,,,if that makes sense.

I think you made the right decision before.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

I'm going to show off now!

We did it in a jumbo on the way to Aus. in 1993 and I asked if the captain was going announce the moment we were crossing it. The flight attendant was very suspicious and asked me why. I said it was because I might not feel the bump and just wanted to know. The captain must have liked the joke or something because as the time approached I was then invited into the cockpit to sit and watch the counters all go down to zero at the precise moment we crossed the equator ...

... AND when we got nearer to Sydney I was asked if I would like to go into the cockpit again, this time for approach and landing. I have pics from 117 miles away of the Hawkesbury River and Sydney harbour, taken through the windscreen of our Qantas jumbo.

Wow, memories which wouldn't be allowed these days.

Wid

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

Wow, what an experience!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing the Equator trip

... also enjoyed crossing the line , on the ground in Kenya, and experiencing the bucket of water trick, pouring water into a bucket and the vortex spinning one way , step over the imaginary line and it spins in the opposite direction, silly fun stuff,