We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited Budget Visit

Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Limited Budget Visit

Can anyone give options on which resort(with good house reef) to go to if on a budget? Max US$100/night for 2. Just clean and friendly place, no frills needed. Roughing it out is not a problem.

Also when is a good time to visit where the seas are calm and suitable for snorkeling?

Thank you

Level Contributor
1,972 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited Budget Visit

Bathala in the summer (most other months it is booked solid).

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited Budget Visit

None, you need to go to a guest house.

A seaplane transfer is 400-500$ per person, a speedboat one is 50-300$ per person (cheaper in the cheapest resorts).

Edited: 14 January 2014, 15:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited Budget Visit

I'm with Maria - no chance with a resort; you will need to see if you can find a guest house on a local island that comes within budget. The cheapest resort I can find is in excess of your budget, just for one person. You could try online agents, but I just can't see it happening for a resort holiday.

Best time for calm seas etc is in high season (with prices to match) ie Feb - April. Snorkelling is good all year round although the chances of rain and storms are higher during the rest of the year.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited Budget Visit

I agree that you wont get a resort for that budget . you might try your luck with one of the guesthouses on local islands .. but keep in mind that those have to comply with sharia law which in effect means swimming fully clothed no alcohol . also the beaches are not what you expect from looking at postcards and snorkeling by excursion , not from the beach.

weather .. as SL says

Level Contributor
3,723 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited Budget Visit

Check out www.agoda.com

I'm not suggesting they are the best people to book with but you will find all of the budget guest houses listed there.

6. Re: Limited Budget Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor