We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Mexico or Maldives?

Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
AI Mexico or Maldives?

My husband and I were married, honeymooned and had our first anniversary in beautiful top 5* resorts in Mexico, and are now thinking of going to the Maldives. Only worries are that we have been totally spoiled with AI in Mexico, heaps of restaurants, mini bar, room service etc, will we be disappointed with Maldives?

Only one buffet restaurant, no free mini bar, no food or drink in rooms...

Sounds like we are being really snobby and picky now but we really had the best of the best in Mexico. Always wanted to go to Maldives though.

Looking at adaaran hudhuranfushi and meedhapuru.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

um... why these two resorts ? with all due respect .. you did not select islands that will make you appreciate the Maldives and forget mexico . what are your criteria and preferences ? you can do much better , even in budget class

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

Agree with spammie......far better are available.

AI in the Maldives isn't like AI in Mexico, well researched. But, the Maldives isn't like Mexico. Two completely different destinations and what you don't get in the Maldives will be more than made up with the beauty of the place. Just not Hud. or Meed.

I assume you have a tight budget to have picked those 2 resorts.....share it with us and we'll advise. We need total budget for food, drinks, flights, transfers and when you intend to travel.

John

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

I agree......those 2 islands are unlikely to make you fall in love with the Maldives.

Have a read through this FAQ and then tell us your criteria for selecting an island:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-c179809/Mal…

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

What are you looking for in a vacation? It sounds like it's all about the food and drink? If that's the case, then you will need to up your budget quite a lot to achieve the same in the Maldives. The Maldives is a very small exclusive holiday destination and you are paying more for the fact you are in such a beautiful location on a tiny island. On that basis Mexico does not even come close to the Maldives.

So it's really about what is important to you,,,if it's loads of restaurants, room service, mini bar etc you will need to spend much more than these two resorts, which are more towards the budget end of the Maldives.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

Echo what others have said, also done Mexico x 2 Maldives x 12. You say you've always wanted to go to the Maldives ? Why ? , you maybe need to research the top end Maldives Islands, even then, the sheer range of above water delights will be restricted , most Islands are way smaller than the area covered by the huge Mexican resorts and the cost will be 3 or 4 times .

Do you put more importance on range of eateries , evening entertainments and buzz rather than total quiet ? We certainly managed to find deserted bits of beaches in Mexico but it is still a world away from the whole Maldives feel.

Maldivian underwater delights are way beyond most of what Mexico has to offer , although we had a wonderful few days snorkelling/diving in Cenotes , which obviously is unique to Mexico, just comes down to your priorities for a holiday, but a mistake to compare the two,.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

You cannot even say Mexico and the Maldives in the same sentence for holiday experience. They are chalk and cheese . Actually with abit of research you can get some totally all inclusive maldives resorts. But yes, a lot of them have some pretty weird restrictions and exclusions . Of the 120 or so resorts in the maldives , those 2 would be in my bottom 10. Average Mexico hotels are 500 rooms

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

It depends on what you want from your holiday. We have done both Mexico AI (once) and the Maldives (five times, returning in June), and the Maldives is a different world altogether. It can't be compared to Mexico at all in my opinion, but again it depends on your criteria for a great holiday.

If you want peace and quiet, world class beaches, world class snorkeling/diving, romance, Robinson Crusoe feeling being on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere... the Maldives all the way :-)

NORWICH
Level Contributor
202 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

You need to widen your choice of island for the Maldives. Once you been here you will never want to go anywhere else and you're holiday to mexico will be a distant memory. You cannot compare the Maldives to anywhere else (in my opinion)

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

AI Select at Reethi Beach might suit you, but unless you have a big budget you won't get the same type of poshness in the Maldives as in Mexico.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AI Mexico or Maldives?

As above, Hudhuranfushi would not be my choice. Yes the All inc is good as is the resort, but the marine life is very poor, the sand coarse. You will struggle to replicate the 5 star Mexico experience at any where near the same budget.

I really like Mexico as a winter sun destination but would rather be in the Maldieves any day, finances allowing.