We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2015, 21:12
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

There is an FAQ:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-c139970/Mal…

2. Re: tipping

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

tipping is a forum hand grenade. Everyone has totally different ideas, a lot of the time based on tipping culture from within that country of origin. Some europeans never tip whilst in the US, 20% is the norm on everything in places such as NY. We went to a 5 star last year in the Maldives. Actually, the star has nothing to do with our level of tipping. We normally tip the room boy in 2 stages. After the first couple of days we leave something on the pillow with a note of thanks but that is a way of encouraging even better service from him (yes - a shameless bribe lol , but also a way of getting exactly what we want in our mini bar which is white wine and LOTS of diet coke - we leave a little note on the bar with a request for what we want - which always seems to work!).

we left $20 for room boy but that is probably on the low side. ($10 + $10).

If you have an allocated waiter AND he has been good $20-$30. The most we have ever tipped was last year at Park Hyatt to the bar staff. Never had service like it - always getting our drinks without having to ask, bringing glasses of champagne unrequested to our beach/pool lounger, surprising us with a cocktail not on the menu - even water arrived in an ice bucket in the afternoon heat. That was 5 star service for you, so $50

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

Hi

The reason Lyn guided you to the FAQs is because there is no generic answer. It really is up to you to decide if,when.and how much to tip. An island having a 5star rating has no relevance to what you decide.

Darryl

5. Re: tipping

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

Hi

Just wondering if you followed the link on the FAQ which took you to this article with actual suggested amounts?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-s606/Maldiv…

As said, tipping is a very personal thing, so in all honesty no-one can give you a specific amount. This is why the article gives suggested guidelines. It is then up to you whether you want to give a lot more, or even nothing at all! There is no hard and fast rule, no categorical answer, everyone is different, circumstances are different...... You don't have to tip at all if you don't want to. Sorry if this is not the answer you are after, but there simply isn't one. People can give you their opinions til they're blue in the face, but I'd lay odds on the vast majority coming out within the guidelines given in the article.

SL

Edited: 21 January 2014, 12:15
7. Re: tipping

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

We tip:

Room boy: $15-20 per week

Main Waiter: $20 per week

Bar Staff: The odd couple of dollars

Staff on trips: odd couple of dollars

We also tip the guy who rakes leaves in 30 degree heat a couple of dollars now and again.

Tipping is not expected, it's just nice to show your appreciation even if it's not much.

Next time we go I will be taking all my old football shirts, they are football mad and would love any premier league tops especially.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,924 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

ok... opinion . in muslim countries , such as the Maldives , tipping is a cultural institution. it replaces the social safety net where there are no welfare, pensions and the like. us westerners tend to have the arrogant opinion that our standards are superior and must therefore be applied to every nation we are a guest in . the European concept of "tips are supposed to be a gratuity for above the norm awesome service" does not apply here . culturally and legally , tips are the greatest part of the employee's wages and they tend to feed several people in his home as well as educate his children and constitute his retirement fund . tips are traditionally given and expected for all and any properly executed service . it doesn't have to be over the top. greater tips for better service is human nature and normal as well. tipping is part of your vacation expense .. "I already spent 4 K on this trip, I could not possibly afford 4 $ for the porter!" is not a valid argument. neither is "I am being charged 10% service charge for that!!" since it has been shown that the 10% does not always get divided between staff and when it does , it tends to go - well deserved so - to the behind the scenes staff who never receive 'personal tips' . besides , guests on meal plans don't pay the extra 10% in the first place. another often used excuse to not tip is "but I am AI!!!!" .. well that is great for the hotel - where your money goes. how does it benefit the employees?

ok.. that's my opinion.

see what you made me write ?! now I will stand back and duck because there will be indignant responses :)

what I tip :

porter 2$ per bag or a minimum of 5$

room boy 5$ every other day , starting on the first day

waiter 2$ per meal

bar staff 5$ per evening or 2$ if I only have one drink and leave

boat crew 2$ per person per return trip

spa .. I don't use the spa generally , but if I did , it would be 10$ per visit

gardeners and maintenance , etc 2 $ as I encounter them

cold towel on the beach , etc guy ... 2 % per service

island host/butler 100$ per week

dive staff 10$ per dive

compressor staff 30 per week (I dive a lot so they work hard for me)

whoever I have forgotten.. you get the idea

on the last day , I add a larger sum to the tip box for unseen staff

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

Was I sitting on the fence ? I don't think so ,it must have been Lyn :-)