We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bioluminescent plankton

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Bioluminescent plankton

Some wow photos just posted.

Article:

maldives.net.mv/10695/…

Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78546112@N00/with/11269034823

Edited: 21 January 2014, 21:03
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

The best bio "sparks" we've ever seen were when we were on a dhoni at night. As the boat cut through the water the show was amazing!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

WOW I am going to be walking around Reethi every night looking for it!!!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

m planing a trip to maldives in few weeks can you advice me where should i go see the sea of stars i'm planing to stay at niyama maldives or if there is a website where i can get informations or a number :(((((

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

Welcome to the forum.

You can not plan your stay around seeing the "sea of stars" as it is a natural phenomenon.

We have just come back from the Maldives and didn't see it over 11 nights.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

I was at Angsana Ihuru and saw small patches of this, we picked it up on a finger and still glowed ..we also rubbed it and it dropped like sparklers ...amazing sight.

We were at Angsana Ihuru in June, it was about 11pm at night and you need to find the darkest areas and just try walking even up the beach a little and rub the sand

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,282 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

It won't be as spectacular as this but if you go to the edge of the sea and sharply swoosh your hand around in the sea you will see small patches of this.

I tried it on a couple of deserted islands in the Maldives after a bbq because we can do it in my part of the UK too and I was curious if it would work. A boat makes it facinating to watch like thousands of little torches in the sea. Ours is green though. No idea why. Different plankton, different fish?

Edited: 13 July 2014, 23:02
17. Re: Bioluminescent plankton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:17