We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Marine life

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives Marine life

Some comments about things like shark cages so this is a good read for novices ;

www.mondomaldive.com/fish_dangerous.html

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives Marine life

I'm still not buying that nobody in the Maldives has been attacked by a shark.

Even black tip reef sharks have attacked people in other countries. So with tigers, hammerheads and other large aggressive species it's a matter of time.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives Marine life

The international shark attack file (ISAF) has been running for many years It is the most comprehensive list and information about sharks in existence.

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/isaf.htm

Buried in this mass of data is a reference to the Maldives. Sometime from 1580 to 2011 there was one non fatal shark attack listed for the Maldives but modern references make no mention of this hence the commonly trotted out expression that there has not been a recorded shark attack in the Maldives.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives Marine life

One RECORDED attack. Bear in mind the Maldives relies massively on tourism and the recent attacks didn't do the Seychelles much good.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives Marine life

wouldn't you think that if tourists kept returning minus family members , the occasional shark incident would get recorded ?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives Marine life

Kenny do you speak about the attack on Richard Parkinson?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives Marine life

Well ,on Vilamendhoo we had a big reef shark come within a few mtrs of us ,it was well over 7 foot long . It was totally uninterested in us .

I feel safe in the ocian in the Maldives .

Darryl

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives Marine life

Assuming you mean a black tip, they only grow to average 5ft...

There were barely any recorded shark attacks in the Seychelles before the recent ones.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives Marine life

It was bigger than me with my fins on !

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives Marine life

…ufl.edu/fish/…blacktipshark.html

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives Marine life

Do you have 2inch fins? :)

Even the black tip (not the black tip reef) average is 1.5m fully grown. Maybe it appeared bigger at the time we all exaggerate!

Anyway, it is a matter of time before someone is attacked in the Maldives, if it's a tourist it will make the papers, if it's a local fisherman or something then it possibly won't.

Put it this way, years ago friends of ours went on a big game night fishing trip, somehow someone's wire got hooked to the boats propellor and it jammed, none of the crew were willing to get in the water to fix it and they needed another boat to come get them. That's all I'm saying!