We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Hi All

I've currently got 2 options for flights into Male before tranferring to our resort. Option 1 sees us arrive at 3.30 in the morning, and option 2 sees us arrive at 1500 in the afternoon (same day). My preference I think is for option 1 since we could make the most of the day and we wouldn't be too affected by any delays. We'd lose out on a proper nights sleep, but my hope is it would be worth it.

My question is it a good idea to arrive at Male airport at that time? Is there much to do or somewhere to sleep for a couple of hours?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Hi

Don't forget this is a flight and you may get delays , I would go for option 1 because the sea planes start at first light 6 ish so by the time you are through customs and collect your luggage you won't have long to wait ;-)

Darryl

Edited: 05 February 2014, 14:15
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

and it depends on your resort. Which island are you going to? Is it a seaplane or speedboat transfer?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Thanks guys. We're going to Reethi Beach, with a seaplane transfer. I don't think check-in is until something like 12 o'clock, but I was thinking it must be quite common for people to arrive at resorts early?

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Yes you can arrive early at Reethi Beach, but your room may not be available until the afternoon. You can always chill out and have lunch etc. Just make sure you pack swimming things and a light daytime outfit in your hand luggage so you can change straight away.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,010 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

people arrive and depart early . there is a good chance you wont have long to wait for check in because the guests before you may well have left to catch an 8 am flight home . should you have to wait .. no problem! pull a swimsuit from your hand luggage and head for the beach!

I would go for the early flight .. why loose the entire day on the plane when you could be frolicking in warm clear water ?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

we always try to arrive as early a flight as possible. The holiday costs the same, its the same amount of nights so why spend more time in the UK/and on the flight arriving at 3 pm when you can be in the resort by 8am. Early flight all the way. We arrive at 0830 and should be at Park Hyatt by midday... quick change and ice cold champagne in hand washing down some tasty food when others will still be in the air en route

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Thanks everyone. I actually got the times wrong, the flight leaves Dubai at 0325. Should be ideal for seaplane transfer. Hopefully there will be some things open in Dubai airport at that time!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

ok so you get in about 0830 - perfect - weve been on that flt a few times and will be later this year

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

I've also taken that flight several times and everything in Dubai Airport is open 24 hrs - in fact, middle of the night seems to be the busiest time. It's far less crowded now they've opened the new terminal.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Male Airport - Arrive in middle of the night...

Mmm yes you had me wondering there about which UK flight arrived into Male in the middle of the night!

We've also done that emirates flight several times, no problems.