We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Just wondered if anyone has used a prescription mask. I want to get one but choices are limited and it boils down to a couple of Tusa masks for a + prescription. My other problem is that they only go up to +4.5 and my prescription is 5.5 and I don't know wether to take a gamble and hope that underwater the lower prescription will be okay. It will cost me about £100 in total. Because of an eye condition I am reluctant to use contact lenses now with a normal mask.

Has anyone got a Tusa Geminus or Ceos mask?

Sorry but would be grateful for any input as I am going in under 5 weeks time and need to sort something.

Thanks

Sue

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Sue.....my daughter had hers made specifically to her prescription by a local dive shop. (I think they fitted the mask first and then sent it away with her prescription).

John

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I've considered it but just always kept my contacts in.

My reasoning is that I wear contacts anyway, I'd have to take them out to put the mask on every time I snorkeled, usually at least twice a day.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

John

May I ask the rough cost of the mask

Darryl

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Jody

Does it cause problems with your contacts if you get lots of salty water in your eyes

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I have a Tusa Geminus mask with prescription lenses. My prescription, like yours, was not exact, but it's still made a huge amount of difference compared to my old mask without lenses. I just kept missing things with the old one! It's also a lovely soft, comfortable, well fitting mask for me.

Good luck!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

PS Did you decide about Robinson Club for next year. We're hoping to go in January :)

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I have an unusual eye problem where only contacts correct my eyesight and not glasses (although they help glasses do not give me good vision). I always snorkel with my lenses in, but I am very careful not to get water in my eyes. I go into deep water and tread water to clear my mask. and I also get out of the sea completely before taking my mask off, must look ridiculous I know. I always make sure I have lots of eye drops on holiday and spare lenses just in case.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Darryl, I've never had any problems, I've done most of my diving with contacts too, I just tell my guide and buddy that I have them in, in case there was a problem. I suppose I don't really get much water in my eyes anyway, my mask is a really good fit and if I did think I'd had a lot of sea water in them, I'd be sure to change my lenses back on land.

I've heard of horror stories but in reality, problems are very rare. I think a dive instructor on scuba board had done something like 5000 dives with lenses in and never had an issue.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Darryl....it was 2009 and I seem to recall the mask was about £40 and the lenses were the same amount again.

I'm sure any good dive shop could do it rather than have to make do with an off the shelf jobby.

John

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Thanks SJ,T23 and Jody ;-)

I have only started using contacts in the last 6 months ( dailys ) and love them but I am a little worried about using them when snorkeling !!

I like the sound of a prescription mask ,and I do need a new one ;-)

The problem is if the mask magnifies everything !!!! Don't want Kenny on my back lol