We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Just wondered if anyone has used a prescription mask. I want to get one but choices are limited and it boils down to a couple of Tusa masks for a + prescription. My other problem is that they only go up to +4.5 and my prescription is 5.5 and I don't know wether to take a gamble and hope that underwater the lower prescription will be okay. It will cost me about £100 in total. Because of an eye condition I am reluctant to use contact lenses now with a normal mask.

Has anyone got a Tusa Geminus or Ceos mask?

Sorry but would be grateful for any input as I am going in under 5 weeks time and need to sort something.

Thanks

Sue

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Darrylpaula - you could always practice in the bath. :)

I have to wear special lenses, but these days they are similar to soft ones. I had more of a problem with the hard ones as they tended to pop out when I rolled my eyes around, so I would have to head back to shore and retrieve from mask!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Husband has considered a prescription mask as he dives aswell as snorkelling with me.

Normally he wears glasses but when diving/snorkelling he just uses daily contact lenses and he's never had any problems.

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Oh thanks so much did not expect so many replies. Step one thanks John I will visit my local dive and ask. If they don't do them I will order them from Simply Scuba I think it was called as I feel more confident know.

I used to wear daily contacts all the time for snorkelling but now I am having to have monthly Lucentus injections in one eye and I do not want to get an infection in the eye. It's no good having rubbish eye sight!!

Once again thanks so much for all your help re mask and everything. You don't want to go all the way to Maldives and not see anything.

Still considering Robinson for next year but will have to be end of Feb or March

Sue

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I remember getting a quote from my local dive shop, but it turned out that they would have been sending it away and getting the same lenses fitted that I bought from Simply Scuba. As the cost from Simply Scuba was somewhat less, I went with them. They sent the mask to me with the lenses all fitted and the service was very prompt.

Enjoy wherever it is you're going!

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Thanks Alex it's also nice to know that you got your mask from Simply Scuba. I think I priced the £100 ish up on the Ceos mask which was more expensive. So may go with the one you bought.

Thanks again

Sue

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I always Snorkel with lenses in. A good pair of dailies is fine as long as you have a good mask fit then you won't have any problems. Clearing your mask while scuba diving might be a different story.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Why is it a different story? I've done it plenty of times......with my eyes shut?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Darryl I use dailies just for snorkelling. I don't have a problem. I do prefer to change take them out when I get back to the room after snorkelling - just take a good supply with you.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

Because when I close my eyes underwater and then come back up it's never thie same, they're never as comfortable from then on without reapplying lens solution, in my experience anyway

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Prescription snorkel masks anyone?

I wear 28 day soft lenses and have no problems with mask removal and clearance at depth - you just need to keep your eyes slightly closed.

OH also wears dailies - but only in 1 eye as if he wears both he can't focus close up on his dive computer or watch. He started with a mask with a prescription lens fitted, he bought the mask and his optician arranged for the lens and its fitting but as his eye sight became variable this was no longer cost effective.