We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

I am going on the Maldives liveaboard Carpe Vita in August, and this will be my first time on a liveaboard. Has anyone been on Carpe Vita and can tell me a bit about it? Also I am travelling alone and I wondered what were people's experiences sharing a room, especially as a single female.

Ann Arbor Mi
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Just returned from a trip on the Carpe Vita liveaboard. They run an excellent operation. The staff was very pleasant and attentive. The Carpe Vita is very large and the rooms were very spacious. The food was very good.

Their dive operation was excellent. The diving was off of their very large diving tender. They have their own tank filling setup piped to your tank location on the dive boat. You keep the same tank and location on the boat all week and never have to take your BC off the tank..

We saw lots of sea life large and small, Giant Mantas, Whale Sharks, Sharks, macro life etc.

I was with a dive group of friends that had the entire boat so I cannot attest to single experience.

It was the Best dive trip I have been on to date.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

I am just returning from a week on the Carpe Vita. It was my first liveaboard and it was incredible. We dove 4 times a day in numerous places. We saw mantas, whale sharks, reef sharks, turtles, and the list goes on. It seems like all we did was dive, eat, dive, eat. We were well trained to the sound of the bell. The dive team was excellent. They provided good per dive briefings We dove off a second boat which kept all our gear on it. No hassles at all messing with gear.

The accommodations and food were excellent. My biggest regret was that I didn't do the 10 day trip! The group of people that were on the trip were from all over the world. It was great!

The only thing I would do a bit differently is to add a few days at the beach at the back end of the trip. We had to be off the boat at 0900 hrs and most flights out of Male left late in the day or late night. We ended up spending the day at a local pool which was fine, but knowing what I know now, I would have liked a bit of beach time!'

Have fun!! It was the best ever for me and I will do it again!!

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Thank you for the trip report.

Would you remember which atol or whereabout did you see whalesharks?

We are leaving for liveaboard in couple of weeks.

cheers

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

I believe it was around North Ari, but not certain. We did the northern set of Atolls. Saw 3 or 4 whale sharks. Really impressive

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

I am doing the 10 day trip sept-oct with my father. We are arriving the two days before the boat departs. Any suggestions on things to do before the live-aboard?

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

I just got back from 10 days on the Carpe Vita. We do quite a lot of live aboards and my son and I really enjoyed the Carpe Vita.

The boat is excellent and well thought through. All the diving is done from another excellent dive boat so the "mother ship" is for accommodation only. We went in July, took a risk with the weather, and the first few days were windy and a little rough, but the boat was quite stable and no one had any issues with se sickness. One night was a bit rough, but the rest of the time was stable.

Each room has individual Air Cond, large bathrooms, port holes that open, and with comfortable beds. The room is cleaned as soon as you come back form your first dive which is nice. The food is good. It wasn't very adventurous and became a little the same by the 8th or 9th day but kept you happy indeed. Plenty of drinks and coffee were available when ever you wanted one.

The dive briefings were very professional and despite varying degrees of experience they went through the "rules" very clearly.

Now the diving. In summary, excellent. Given the season we didn't have great visibility although towards the end of the 10 days is got to about 30M other times it was down to 5-10M. However we saw sharks, manta's (often) Whale sharks while diving and snorkelling. Lots to see in addition including turtles, moray eels of many sizes, all sorts of schools of fish.

I felt we spent far too much time in Baan Atoll and not enough time in the southern part of Ari Atoll. I also felt some of the dives was just to get us into the water and a few times very boring dives were repeated which I didn't quite understand.

Overall though a great diving experience. We had reasonably bad weather and even that didn't stop us from experiencing some magical time in the water. 10 days, 33 dives, saw everything I wanted. It was really an Ocean Safari - Loved it.

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Sounds like a great trip and fantastic that you saw everything you wanted. I just wondered what the general make-up of the guests on-board was?

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Hi. The mix was quite good. We had about half from UK, US and Australia and the other half were a single group from Russia. Everyone interacted well. I found 19 divers on the same dive site sometimes a bit much . but that's the nature of live aboards

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Hi. The mix was quite good. We had about half from UK, US and Australia and the other half were a single group from Russia. Everyone interacted well. I found 19 divers on the same dive site sometimes a bit much . but that's the nature of live aboards

Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives Liveaboard Carpe Vita

Hi, I want to go alone on a diving trip., Any tips or guidance? Is it a good idea to join a group alone? will i make friends on board? Thanks for help..