We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

I am looking for 4 star resorts that are accessible by short speedboat ride (no seaplane please as it is too expensive and will take too much time) and have some kind of night activities. Nice coral reefs for snorkeling, soft sand to walk on and water villas for the unique experience would be great additions. Perhaps you could start with my shortlist of Kandooma, Centara, Lux and suggest others that you feel would better meet my requirement? Thank you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Btwi am planning this for June with a budget of US$1000 per 2-bedroom water villa or US$400 per room/night.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Lux hasn't a reef, you need to go by seaplane and is 5 star.

I guess you mean Centara ras Fushi by Centara (there are two Centara in Maldives): i wouldn't go and you can see reasons in the many threads about it.

Kandooma is good option considering everything, but snorkelling isn't great nor beaches...

Budget should include meal plan? If you would consider also a beach Villa as accomodation, you would have more options...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

kandooma and lux have no house reef and therefore no snorkeling off the beach . lux is a seaplane or if they do offer speedboat , you are talking a many hour ride.

centara ras fushi has a bit of snorkeling but really hardly any. ras fushi is located very close to the industrial island of thilafushi with its garbage burning plant

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Hi, from the above postings, it seems that Centara and Lux is not an option for me now. I have just read from past posts that Kurumba and Angsana may be a good option? Any others?

Edited: 11 February 2014, 15:19
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Angsana is the one I would go for

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

This thread also not on my pc site... Just on phone

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

i did more reading up and am now considering Angsana Ihuru, Anantara Dhigu and Kandooma. However, Angsana seems to be the most expensive and does not have water villas; kandooma appears to be the cheapest but has this unusual additional charge of US$150/person/room/night from 3rd person even though the room is indicated for 3 pax. I am also surprised that Kurumba is ranked higher than Banyan Tree; and Meeru Island's overwater villa only costs about US$500 including all meals? I wonder if there is any catch to Meeru's offer.

In sum, based on my original requirement, which would you say would be the best match? Would love to go Baros but just too expensive... Thanks again.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 02:47
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

No house reef off the beach at Meeru.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

if snorkelling is a requirement, then forget Meeru, Kandooma, centara (poor). Yes Angsana is more expensive than those i previously listed because its a far far better island. If budgets are tight, then the Water villa will force you to consider cheaper islands such as Meeru. Once you factor in food and drink then Baros would be out of your reach.

Oh - and forgrt about the rankings; Meeru and Kuredu are ranked higher than Park Hyatt Hadahaa!!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speedboat, activities, soft sand, water villas

Hi Paul and all, I just thought snorkeling is a must at a beach resort, otherwise there is nothing very much to do as we don't dive and properly can't sun tan all day :). Would you recommend Kandooma or Anantara Dihgu if snorkeling is not a must? Anantara seems to meet all the requirement now except that Kandooma has the best rate. Torn between heart's desires and pocket.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 11:55