We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Booked Flight only!!!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just Booked Flight only!!!

My Wife and I have just booked Flight only for this Saturday for a 2 week stay in the Maldives......the huge prices we were getting for accommodation and lack of it, as its such short notice we have decided just to get there and hope to sort something out when we arrive.....any tips would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

no chance

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

Hi

In theory at least you have to have accommodation booked in order to get your entry visa to the Maldives

Regards

Doug

Edited: 13 February 2014, 17:47
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

That's not quite true!!!!

Maldives Visa | Maldives Passport and Visa / Entry Requiremnts

Free 30 days Visa upon arrival for all visitors

No prior visa is required to enter the Maldives and based on immigration requirements, entry permits will be granted on arrival.

However an entry permit does not permit visitors to take up employment, set up any business or conduct any professional activities (paid or unpaid) except with the consent of the government and in compliance with pertinent laws and regulations of the Maldives.

- Visitors entering the Republic of Maldives should fulfill the following requirement for the grant of an entry permit into the country.

- Possession of a valid international travel document issued by the Government of a Sovereign State.

- Possession of a valid return air ticket to a destination where the passenger has permission to enter, together with necessary visas for the onward journey to the next destination.

- Possession of minimum of US$30.00 per person per day or confirmed hotel reservation for the intended period of stay in the Maldives. Following are exempted from this requirement.

Diplomats

UN Personnel

Approved persons for employment

Technical and other experts attached to the Government

Those who have confirm bookings in registered tourist resort/hotels etc.

Those sponsored by Maldivians

- No prior visa is required to enter the Republic of Maldives. Entry permit will be granted to visitors on arrival at designated ports of entry, based on the immigration requirements.

- An entry permit does not allow an visitor to take up employment, set up any business or exercise any profession whether paid or unpaid except with the consent and in conformity with the pertinent laws and regulations of the Maldives. However, a visitor or foreign delegation visiting the Maldives to conclude business agreements, contracts or to negotiate business transactions with their counterparts do not require work permits if the stay does not exceed the duration granted on arrival.

- An expatriate must obtain a work permit from the Ministry of Human Resources Employment and Labour prior to arrival in Maldives to engage in employment.

- Visitors who stay beyond the period for which they have been approved may be deported.

- The Government of Maldives refuses admission and transit to holder of Merchant Seaman books.

- Disembarkation and Embarkation card shall be filled by every passenger and submitted to the Immigration Officer on entry.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence paul1962 Belfast!

Just have to let you know how we get on ;-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

Why on earth would you travel all that way with no accommodation booked?! That's a massive risk to take, its the middle of peak season with many resorts having minimum stay requirements, or likely to be fully booked.

Chances are, unless you have very deep pockets, you will end up having to stay in a guest house with significant restrictions on sunbathing, alcohol and probably a lack of snorkeling. Of all the places in the world NOT set up for last minute travel....Maldives probably tops that list.

But hey, what do we all know, we've only been there a few times each.......

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

That's a very risky plan !!! I would start contacting some Maldives agents ASAP

Darryl

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

Where exactly in Hulhumale would you go to book a resort?

John

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

Where's all of your senses of adventure?

Not risky by no means.....you could say the same about the Galapagos Islands.....and if you can do it there you can do it anywhere!

I know there is plenty of agents in Male... and I also know that all of the unsold rooms that the uk and world wide agents hold have been handed back to the resorts.....maybe few but more than enough for us and we will get to see more of the Maldives than most ;-)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

I have no sense of adventure. I always book way, way in advance. But wishing you all the best and hope you find somewhere great to stay :-)

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Booked Flight only!!!

No a very kind answer, so no the way to get info from people here...

Obviously you haven't gone to the maldives, but many people here who have gone there a lot of times (including myself) know that when you full in the visa formular in the plane and you give it in the immigration control, you won't be allowed into the country unless you say the resort you're going to, and of course, you swear everything you say is true, so it's up to yourself to take the risk...

It's possible that rules have changed during the last two weeks, but I don't think so...

Yes, resorts staff and some travel agents will be in the airport, but don't think that if there's a room available at any resort (the good ones won't be available in a 99%) they will offer you the deal of your life, because it won't happen...