We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to the maldives

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
first time to the maldives

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what resort people would suggest to stay at. My husband and I can only really go in September. After doing a little bit of research I realise that it is the "rainy season". We both love swimming and snorkelling but I am worried that the seas will be too rough. Are there any resorts that are sheltered or have less choppy beaches at this time? Budget isn't a huge problem but we are hoping to stay in an overwater bungalow.

Thankyou in advance

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to the maldives

Welcome to the forum.

Yes Sept is in the wet season, but who knows what the weather will be like or how choppy the sea will be. You could get a mix of sun, cloud or rain. There are no "better" areas which we can direct you to - it will be luck of the draw.

If you tell us what you are looking for and which islands you have shortlisted then we might be able to comment more specifically. For example some islands have poor snorkelling or frequent strong currents; there may be a difference in shelter from one side of the island to the other; some islands have better facilities for if the rain sets in....etc.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 06:34
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to the maldives

Hi Lynphd

Thankyou for your reply. We have picked out Niyama, conrad rangali, and iru fushi as our possible resorts but are open to suggestions. We are looking to go for 8nts from the 10th to 18th Sept. We love snorkeling (my husband loves to dive also), swimming and nice food also.

Thankyou

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to the maldives

niyama is the best among those by far, but not so much of a snorkelling island, has one of the most beautiful lagoons though. Also check out:

1) Jumeriah Dhevanafushi (superb snorkelling, and amazing water villas)

2) Cocoa Island (very good in terms of marine life but not so much coral)

3) W Retreat (fantastic ocean villas, good combo of snorkelling and blue lagoon)

4) Park Hyatt Hadahaa (the best corals in Maldives at a resort island, though fish life is not necessarily better)

5) Kandholhu (fantastically beautiful island, but perhaps too many bungalows for that size of an island after the refurb)

6) Anantara Kihavah (Last, but not the least, one of the best choices in the Maldives, with amazing lagoon and ocean villas, not so much corals, but fish life is abundant)

If I were you, I would do two islands to experience something different. Each island is different, and we always do 2 islands at a time, even if it is just for 2 days.

My pick for you would be a combo of: Jumeriah Dhevanafushi and Niyama or Anantara Kihavah or Cocoa (All these 3 have fantastic beautiful blue lagoons, and Jumeriah fantastic house reef/corals)

If you pick Cocoa, you may want to book the Two-bedroom villa, Como Sunrise Villa which is for me the best spot in the world.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 08:04
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to the maldives

If you love snorkelling then you are probably looking for a resort island with a good house reef off the beach. If that is the case, then it I'm not sure why you have shortlisted Niyama in your final 3? What other criteria made you pick out these?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to the maldives

And also Irufushi doesn't have a great reef...

Going for 8 days in my opinion your best option is to go only to one island, as 3-4 days (depending on transfers) isn't enough time to enjoy an island and you could lose a lot of time in transfers, unless the islands are very close and you van go by speedboat, specially going in september when you could have several clouds-rainy days which wouldn't let you see the Sun... Don't worry about the weather, you also could have seven sunny days, but of course everybody who doesn't go during january-mid april is taking the risk...

I would also suggest Hivafen Fushi: if you stay at a ocean bungalow you can swim directly to the reef, which is very good in that area.

Jumeirah vittavelli may be another option, as villas are great and it seems that reef is good (though I haven't gone there).

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to the maldives

We have been at least five times in September and had from a perfect two weeks of sunshine to a bit of a mixture of sun and some rainy days. Never a complete washout and from memory we only had a couple of all day rainy days. Most bad weather was just a quick passing storm. I wouldn't hesitate to return in September. Feb to March is my first choice though.

7. Re: first time to the maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21