We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

Hello

I will be visiting the Maldives for the first time in June of this year for my anniversary. I will be staying for four nights.

I have been doing a lot of research and would love to get some feedback in relation to good places to stay. I love the look of Velassaru however it does look quite expensive as well in comparison to Kurumba.

I would love to be able to find something for approximately under $750 per night all inclusive.

What I'm after:

1) Good beaches for snorkelling etc.

2) Good food and drinks

3) Good amount of activities to do throughout the day

4) I would prefer to stay in a water bungalow (love the look of the ones in Velassaru)

Could you please give me advise as to which is better?

I also heard that 'rubbish' island is really close by to Velassaru - is this the same for Kurumba?

If you think that there are other better resorts that offer all inclusive please let me know.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated - thank you so much.

Resort Snorkeling
Scuba & Snorkeling
Dive Center Aquaventure
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
itouch Blue Diving Centre
Lessons & Workshops, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

Velassaru is across the channel from rubbish island and has no snorkelling. Kurumba is about 1 mile from the international airport but has snorkelling. Some islands have a minimum night policy. 4 days is quite a short stay. Other AI islands to consider would be athuruga, vilamendoo , angsana Ihuru do a sort of AI, gangehi and reethi beach

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

there are literally dozens of much better resorts, and no offense, I would pick Kurumba as the last.

Take a look at Mirihi, Zitahli Kudafunafaru, Filitheyo, Robinson Club, Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, Reethi Beach. Last one being probably the best of those in the low price category.

Water bungalow versus beach is a very personal choice, I always prefer water bungalows, but many prefer beach as well. I believe above resorts will be your best bets.

PS: Athuruga is very good choice as well if within budget, but I am afraid it might be a bit pricey.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 14:52
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

If you want snorkelling, it has to be Kurumba...

As you are going for a short stay, I'd stay at a resort at male atolls (as kurumba or Velassaru), so that you don't lose time in transfers, so I'd only consider Angsana Ihuru from the option other posters has said,but it doesn't have water Villas.

If AI isn't a must, you could consider more options.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,924 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

Azure .. mirihi will be closed , doesn't offer AI and would bust the budget anyhow .

between velassaru and kurumba I would go with "neither" .. as paul explains .. one has you looking at a trash burning facility and has no snorkeling .. the other at an airport , yet it does have a reef.

Ihuru has no watervillas but would be a great solution for your ultra short stay .. reethi beach is a good option as well of course

5. Re: Maldives Accomodation - Velassaru or Kurumba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:20