We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Just wondering - if our return flight leaves at 9:05 am - would this be ok when needing a seaplane from Vilamendhoo? Is it the same as with a major airline where we would need to be there 3 hours prior or is 2 hours ok?

We are having a hard time finding flights that work in our budget. A lot of flights leave very late at night and I know that would mean we need to sit in Male for hours before the flight, then with most flights we would have another 5 hour layover somewhere (and in the middle of the night for the most part).

Mentioned in this post
Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Vilamendhoo Island...
3,679 Reviews
Vilamendhoo
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Should be ok- we have got the 10 am emirates flight so easy with a speedboat or a 7 am seaplane departure. For a 9 am flight you would be leaving the island at first light so by 0630. This year we are on the 2300 emirates flight back but that should mean a whole extra day in resort for us as we will be on an internal flight at 7 PM

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Hi

Yes you will have plenty of time ,the sea planes start first light so it will be an early call and breky .

Darryl

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Perfect thank you!

I really would prefer to have a full day at the resort on the last day but it means getting to Male whatever time they decide to take us (I assume 4-6 pm) so a 5 hour wait. Then we would have another 5 hour wait in Dubai. I'm good at killing time but that's pushing it!

Edited: 17 February 2014, 16:29
Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

I regularly take a return flight that leaves male at 8:15 am and have never missed it from any south ari island

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Yes that wait is a pain.... But another ( possibly) full day in resort ???? For the same price

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

On a return journey I usually prefer to take an earlier flight. If I have a late flight I tend to spend the day thinking "8 hours until we leave", "7 hours until we leave" etc. I can't relax when I know I have to travel later that day.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

i know what u mean cakestin... but at 7 am in the morning when u are having to force yourself to leave paradise, if a memberf of staff said your flight was delayed till 2300 hrs and you would have to spend the rest of the day till 5 pm on the island, would you be annoyed or pleased lol ?. Every time we leave we always look at each other and say if only we could stay another few hours or why didnt we book a few more days etc etc

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Hi

Doesn't work like that I've had a late flight out of Male 13.00hrs and still been flown from the island to arrive at 3pm. It all depends on the other people leaving the island (and remember officially you finish time is 12.00 midday) but if you're the only couple or so you get sent early

Regards

Doug

Edited: 18 February 2014, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Which is why we also prefer to pack and go on a morning/ first flight out.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about leaving the Island/Seaplane

Fingers crossed because we are on a domestic transfer we will make it well into the afternoon.... Never tried the late flight before so we shall see