We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An end in sight to price hikes?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
An end in sight to price hikes?

Just making a quantum leap , re. tonights Robert Peston documentary on BBC2 at 21.00. Probably more wishful thinking, but interesting what the knock on effect could be ??

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An end in sight to price hikes?

I'm not sure which way it could go......if the Chinese market disappears, do prices come down to attract more/other visitors or would they go up to try and recoup some of the lost Chinese market.

I've been saying for some time that some of the Maldive resorts are too reliant on one market.

Just one point of interest which I'm not sure will come out......China's debt is currently running at about 200% of GDP......the UK's is 900%.

Food for thought. Wait til interest rates rise here!!

John

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: An end in sight to price hikes?

Hi Buckle Bugs

I watched it too because of the huge Chinese number of visitors to Maldives - the pace of growth in China was very interesting (and shocking).

John - you are correct, they did not point out the UK debt to GDP ratio - but I think the program hinted that the concern was the dramatic rise of the Chinese ratio over just a 5 year period.

I think that with the current high availability of rooms through some of March that hopefully the islands will soon see sense anyway.

Best wishes

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Edited: 19 February 2014, 00:01
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An end in sight to price hikes?

well its a glimmer anyway, nice to think my next trip may not be my last

4. Re: An end in sight to price hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:18