We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

I am sure I have seen the answer to this somewhere but I can't find it so I apologise for asking this again.

We are a family of 4 transferring to Centara Grand via Seaplane. What is the luggage weight limit please and if a family of 4 is that allowance per person or per item of luggage? I ask as we normally travel with 2 or 3 large cases between us, which i am certain will weight over the allowance individually? Also, is there a weight limit for hand luggage please?

Any other advice for the seaplane transfer process much appreciated.

Many many thanks

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

It's usually a total of 25kg per person (suitcase and hand luggage weighed together). Over that limit they may charge you.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 15:23
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

HI Debs,

Although the limit is 25kg per person (including hand luggage), our luggage was weighed all together, so you'll probably find that as long as all luggage for the four of you weighs under a total of 100kg you'll be fine.

Have a great time.

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

Thank you both. I have now found in my travel information that it is 20kg plus 5kg per passenger. Max weight for a single piece of luggage 32kg. I am therefore hoping that I can pack all our stuff together in the larger cases. I know it will come in below 80kg in total so hopefully should be ok. I just find fewer cases easier to manage with 2 kids.

SO excited - 34 sleeps!!!!!

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

The plus 5kg per person is I believe for your hand luggage, and are you sure the max weight for a single piece of luggage is 32kg? I was told max weight for any where in the world now is 23kgs per case.

Also we were told that although it may say 23kgs on your details, the max the sea planes will take is 20kgs.

Hope I'm not confusing you even more!! LOL

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

I'm already very confused so don't worry! Any advice or info greatly appreciated!

Free luggage allowance - up to 20 kg per passenger

Free hand luggage - up to 5kg per passenger

It definitely says…maximum permissible weight for any single piece of luggage 32 kg (any luggage in excess of 32 kg will need to be repacked before check-in)

I have no problem with being under 80 kg total for the 4 of us. I just want to be able to use 3 cases instead of 4. Each will be around 25 kg. I know we have a 30 kg each allowance on Emirates and 32 kg each on BA for the return.

I'm sure I'm making this all harder than its supposed to be :-)

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

We flew with Emirates in 2012 & were told we had 23kgs allowance each, but could only take 20kgs on the seaplane.

We are flying with BA this time & have got 20kgs with 5kgs hand luggage allowance each.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

Each person gets a free allowance of 25 kg each . All luggage is weighed for the group giving a group total. You may or may not be charged excess baggage fees if you go over the 25 per person allowance. If you are a couple over, they will more than likely ignore it . If you are 5 or 10 over you likely to be charged. That has been our experience. I always say that unless you are taking heavy dive gear, if you have more than 25 kg per person, you are taking too much stuff

8. Re: Seaplane transfer - luggage help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:19