We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Soldeu, Andorra
Level Contributor
242 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Hi!

Today I had some time to kill and had a look at www.mirihi.com, the official website of Mirihi island resort, one the popular Maldives destinations on this forum. I wanted to see what all the rave was all about. It's definitely very, very impressive and I don't think we'd ever be able to afford it, I'm afraid. :-(

I looked at the photos of the resort, browsed their menus and, much to my surprise, I found that they seem to carry quite a range of Parés Baltà wines, a small Catalan winery that is usually good value here. My mouth dropped when I noticed that Radix, one of their rosé wines, is priced at 115$ a bottle, plus service and local tax. I think that would come to 135 $! Well, over here nobody would pay more than 20€ for that same bottle! That's about 28$

I appreciate that everything is imported in the Maldives and premium/luxury items can carry a massive surcharge. But that's about 400% more expensive! For a wine that is nice, but hardly unique!

Absolutely gobsmacked!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

If you're not prepared to pay the prices Parlem, dont go.

Simples.

John

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Just for a laugh !!!! Those prices ain't funny ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Is it cheaper elsewhere in the Maldives (I just have the odd cocktail)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

I found it online here for £20, just a bit of a mark up!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

You should see the wine list at Shangri-La Villingili. I thought at first the prices were in Yen LOL!

$3200, $7500, $8500, $415, $3200, $8500, $1950 is a brief glimpse from one page I took a photo of. The cheapest bottle was around $80. A Californian chardonnay from Napa Valley $165! Just spotted another Californian Chardonnay for $440!

Edited: 25 February 2014, 07:54
Mentioned in this post
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Soldeu, Andorra
Level Contributor
242 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Unbelievable, really! :-)

Fiji
Level Contributor
532 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

Good afternoon all,

Appreciate your concern on wine prices and I do feel that some resorts are definitely taking a different approach to this which is refreshing to see. There is some wine lists with reasonable pricing.

I do hope others follow.

Sunny regards,

Jason

Kurumba

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

wine is expensive in the Maldives full stop. But i have to say that wine at Mirihi seems particularly expensive. Mind you it seems expensive everywhere when you are not getting it on AI. When you do get good wine on AI, it seems like such a victory. Without naming it (lol) i remember getting the house wine on a popular 4 star Maldives island that came out of a poly bag. It wasnt bad, just wasnt particularly nice. It always seems more expensive anyway to me when the price is quoted in $US. Obviously you cant compare the tesco/retail price but on my last holiday, i checked the exact same wine in resort with an average London restaurant and it was double the price for the same wine in the Maldives and that seems to be the mark up compared to a UK restaurant which i suppose isnt bad when you think the processes the wine has to get to to get to an island in the middle of nowhere. £30 - £40 for a bottle in a London restaurant = £60 - £70 in the Maldives. Our popular Wine at our last resort cost about £10 a bottle from a wine retailer and was $90 (plus taxes) on the wine list in resort (but we had it on AI so all was good with us)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

in a London restaurant , the same delivery truck that stopped at Tesco 20 mins earlier , drops off a case at the back door . I don't get how you can even compare that to the logistics of sending a small order to an island in the middle of the indian ocean . the mind boggles at such strange comparisons .

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of Catalan wine on Mirihi (just for a laugh!)

strange it may be but theres a thing called value for money anywhere in the world. And NZ wine has to travel a lot farther to the UK than it does to the Maldives yet costs 10 times more. If you can fly it to the UK, you fly it to the Maldives. That just leaves the journey to the island. If you can get a bottle of wine at Kuramathi for $50, why is a bottle of wine at Mirihi $120? (and ive checked - the wine at Mirihi isnt THAT good - some is decidely below average). Its the same reason maldivain aero charges 3 or 4 times the price for tourists as they do for locals - its called ripping off the tourists (bed tax, service charge, GST; ring a bell?)

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi
Kuramathi
North Ari Atoll