We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

Hi Everyone,

Well, with spring finally threatening to spring and the sun making a welcome appearance here in Wales this weekend, my thoughts are turning to our return trip to Reethi Beach in June; had to count the sleeps after typing that and I make it 98. Yee Hah!

My husband is a large gentleman and we have had real difficulty finding a mask to fit him. Last year he was unable to snorkel because we couldn't find one is really keen to do so this year as it's such a wonderful part of a trip like this. We tried the dive centre at Reethi but they had nothing anywhere close to fitting him :-(

I've measured the distance between the outside of his eye sockets and it's 6.5 inches. If there is a mask to fit him out there somewhere I'm sure the "Maldivites" here on the forum will probably have the answer, so throwing this one out now there in the hope we can get him kitted out in good time. I have already googled like mad and contacted a couple of online suppliers and have tried a dive shop in Swansea all to no avail, so hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Thanks as always in advance for your help.

Soldeu, Andorra
Level Contributor
218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

Hi!

I'd say your best bet is for your husband to visit the largest dive shop you can find in your area and try on as many masks as possible.

Fit is the most important issue and you can only be certain of a good fit by trying on the mask in situ.

A good rule of thumb is to place the mask against your face WITHOUT the strap. Then inhale deeply and hold your breath. If the mask stays on, it's likely to be a fairly good fit.

In recent years MARES has introduced masks for the oriental market which, according to their literature, are supposed to provide a better fit for people with rounder (but also smaller) faces.

Most manufacturers now feature two types of silicone in their high-end masks: a firmer, more durable type for structural points and a softer, more flexible kind for areas that touch your skin, where comfort and a good seal are critical.

I find that many dive masks nowadays have rather narrow skirts. While this perhaps makes sense in terms of offering a lower profile or reduced internal volume and saving on material, I think it's detrimental when it comes to providing a good seal.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

Maybe enquire about this:

amazon.co.uk/Typhoon-TM1-Diving-Snorkelling-…

We've both had the original Typhoon TM1 oversize mask for years. They have a single lens (rather than a separate lens for each eye), with wide lens. Very comfortable with good vision range.

You should be able to find some suppliers if it is suitable - Mike's diving, as in the link, might be worth talking to.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/42…

Look at above discussion.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

Thank you so much for the pointers; great to have something to start with. I'll check these out and keep you posted.

Thanks again

5. Re: Extra Large Snorkelling Mask

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:19