We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doha stopover

Whiteley, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
doha stopover

Can anyone explain the process of flying via doha? We have never flown anywhere indirect so dont know how it works with baggage etc. Also will there be time (we only have a 1 hour layover) for my husband to find somewhere to have a cigarette?

Many thanks

Level Contributor
340 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: doha stopover

Doha is a very small airport we had a stop over there on the way to Bali in 2010. You go thorough security, duty free is straight in front of you, toilets to the right and if I remember rightly there are a couple of smoking rooms not sure of exact location think maybe one up and one down stairs but to the left ish They are well marked unless things have changed. You may find that your hubby doesn't actually need to have one, just breathing in the air in the room was enough.

Your luggage should be booked straight through so you don't see it again until you land in the Maldives, I'm sure others will confirm. The one tip I can give you is find your gate as quick as you can before anything else. The airport tannoy was horrendous and we couldn't find our flight listed on the departure boards. In the end we asked an assistant, as it turned out we were actually sat at our gate and has watched people board for the last 20 mins. Hopefully this was a 1 off, as I don't remember it happening on the return journey - but again someone who has travelled through Doha more recently could confirm if the airport is more efficient.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: doha stopover

From some of the tales I've heard via this forum you may be lucky to just make the flight, let alone stop for a cigarette. Sorry, too tight a window for me but many do make it through.

Your luggage will undoubtedly be checked through to male.

Level Contributor
2,462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: doha stopover

Doha is a small airport and what happens is that you are bused from the plane to the terminal and then you go through security. You get about an hour between flights. Even though the transfer time is tight, if you are on time and even if you are not, your husband will still have time for a cigarette before going to the gate. If your plane is late, you may be bounced off your next flight even though you make it to the gate before the gate has shut. The reason for this that Qatar give is that your luggage will not make the flight in time. It's happened to me twice. Even though my flight was late leaving Manchester, I was still at the gate 15 minutes minimum before the gate actually closed. They just did not let me on the flight!

On the way back, if you are flying to Manchester you get several hours at Doha. Book into the Oryx lounge and there is a dedicated smoking room there.

You do not need to worry about your luggage at Doha either way.

I much prefer going via Doha to via Dubai and that's the case even though I have twice been bounced off a flight. If that happens to you, claim compensation and if necessary pm me for more info if you need it.

Level Contributor
745 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doha stopover

I'm on this lhr-doha-male with 1 hour window, next year.... :-/

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: doha stopover

Doha is extremely efficient, one hour is plenty of time, I think 40 mins or so is the min. You could have longer at another airport and miss. I would not stress. Yes, just like any other airport in the world, people miss connections, but it's really not the norm.

Yes, you get bussed to your terminal, you the go up to your gate, if connection is tight, then they don't do security, there is a smoking room well sign posted as you enter. Bags are checked through.

Basically you get off the plane, onto a bus, dropped of fifteen mins later at your entrance point, walk up the stairs, board again. If not tight connection, go through security,

I've done it with just slightly longer than this and still had to sit at the gate for about 30 mins waiting for my flight. I would not hesitate at all to do this connection,

If the worst comes to the worst, and your inbound is delayed enough for you to miss the connection, ask for access to the lounge as you wait for the next flight, if not, just pay to enter, it's no biggie. If your inbound is on time, you will make it.

Whiteley, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: doha stopover

thanks so much for all your answers, puts my mind so much at ease!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: doha stopover

All new airport at Doha to have phased opening by mid-2014. (Hamad International Airport)

Not sure when you are going, but expect an all new layout. New airport is 5km east of the current airport

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: doha stopover

Just think transfer without all the bells and whistles. Just get on the bus, into the terminal to your gate and on to the plane. So no shopping, extended loo breaks, re applying make up, going on facebook, texting your friends, having a meal , etcetera etc. just think ' transfer ' and concentrate .

9. Re: doha stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:19