We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island selection for a first timer...suggestions please

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Island selection for a first timer...suggestions please

I have been reading through but its a bit overwhelming for a first timer, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Getting married May 31 in Thailand and popping over to Maldives for 5 days / 4 nights. Flights arrive and take off around noon, so the overnight in Male isn't required.

Nightly budget is roughly $800-$1000/night but can be stretched if its worth it. That would likely mean little more cutting into activities. We want a water villa, preferably with a private plunge pool attached.

We really like W hotels and have stayed at many of them around the world. They really fit with our type of personality, but they want $1500/night for the water villas and that might be too much of a stretch. Is there anything that has a similar type of vibe?

How efficient is the hotel transfer process (speed boat or sea plane)? Due to this being a short trip, I'd prefer not to spend all day transiting, which is making me lean towards something closer to Male. Should I be concerned about this?

Types of Activities that we really want:

Excellent snorkelling from the beach

Decent diving sites nearby (I plan to dive, but she's not sure...what!?! how can you go and not dive. I think she wants a spa day instead, so a nice spa is important as well). BTW, how much is a typical 2 tank dive?

Other water sports such as kayaking, wind surfing (would need a lesson if available), paddle boarding, etc.

A decent choice of 2-3 restaurants

We're social people, so something with a decent bar/lounge area would be good. We don't need a dance club.

Preferably a child free resort, or at least not a place full of families.

Based on some that I've been looking at, Taj Exotica fits with the above, but wonder if there's something else that I'm overlooking.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island selection for a first timer...suggestions please

Not sure how it compares to W in price, but you could look at Huvafen Fushi.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island selection for a first timer...suggestions please

Maybe Baros? Boat transfer, selection of restaurants and age limit for children I think.

3. Re: Island selection for a first timer...suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 06:16