We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best islands for snorkelling

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
best islands for snorkelling

what are peoples opinions on the absolute best islands for snorkelling regardless of budget or whether its a 1* island or 5* island?

Secret Paradise
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Everyone says Park Hyatt Hadahaa on this forum so I am guessing that is one of the best if not the best.

Also hear good things about Biyadhoo in the lower price brackets.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best islands for snorkelling

mirihi is my standard . will see about phh in summer . maayafushi for budget

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Park hyatt hadahaa has a reef that needs to be seen to be believed. Plus it's 360 degrees so no back tracking and no cut throughs so it is untouched. Coral cover is the densest in the Maldives, 130% in places. The atoll it sits in is much deeper than any other Maldivian atoll which I was told had an effect on water clarity and presence of bigger pelagics. The thing about it is that it is noticeably better than one of the top reefs ( recommended by Maldives experts) that I snorkelled the year before.

Have a look at some pics I took;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g2104649-d…

Fiji
Level Contributor
502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Good evening,

My personal best experiences were at Park Hyatt, Huvafenfushi & Baros.

Hope that you have a great Maldives holiday.

Jason

Kurumba Maldives

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Of the two islands I've been two Bandos had superb snorkelling with the reef all the way round the island. Meeru on the other hand was great for young daughter learning but for the experienced snorkeler not great. Cheers

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Path Hyatt, Angsana Ihuru, Mirihi, Robinson Club, W and kandholudhoo,

Denmark
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best islands for snorkelling

We have been to Park Haytt also - and this is a really amazing house reef... but the best in our experience is Centara Grand.... Extremely close to both Jetty and beach and turtles, nemo and much more... But Park Hyatt can also highly be recommended..

We have also been to Island Hideaway which also have top top class snorkeling...and a very nice Island as well..

The last resort we have tried is Six Senses Laamu - where the resort is high class and service outstanding together with the facilities and food..BUT house on this resort - NOT at all to visit.. So for snorkeling.. do not take Six Senses Laamu - but the 3 others are really good..

england
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Robinson Club, Maafushivaru and Athuruga.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best islands for snorkelling

In terms of coral, the best reef I've seen is certainly Park Hyatt followed by Robinson Club. Mirihi would be 3rd.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best islands for snorkelling

Many Maldives experts and agents who have snorkeled most or all of the top reefs all say that Park Hyatt has the most beautiful and densely structured coral, so I think Paul and jp are spot-on in their assessment.

I'm curious now about Centara Grand though. From what I have gathered from the DEs and other travelers, it is a good reef but ranks behind others like Mirihi and Athuruga in the same atoll. It does look like a very easily accessible reef from most of the water villas though.