We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamendhoo dress code?

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Vilamendhoo dress code?

I have been reading mixed reviews about vilamendhoo's dress code for dinner time.

Is it true that women are not allowed to wear strapless shirts and dresses? Does this include spaghetti straps or halter necks?

Kinda bummed.. Just did a huge vacation shopping trip and bought a bunch of strapless, but still completely appropriate maxi dresses and now I'm not sure if I can even wear them!

I guess I can always wear a pashmina or something on my shoulders while we eat but I'm worried it's too hot for that!

Also, does this dress code apply to all restaurants / bars at all times of the day?

Thanks!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,466 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

We've been to Vila twice and there was no such dress code for women. You don't have to cover shoulders in restaurants or bars. Just don't go in wearing just swimwear (and I wouldn't wear just a transparent cover up over swimwear in the restaurant either). Strappy tops are fine.

For men......sleeveless vests are frowned upon in the restaurant (maybe ok at breakfast, but not sure).....dress code is short sleeved cotton shirt/polo shirt/Tshirt.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 05:09
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

Hi

I totally agree with Lyn ,its a very relaxed attitude towards dress code at Vilamendhoo . They don't like you sitting down at the bars/restaurant during the day if you are dripping wet .

Its your holiday so wear what makes you feel comfortable :-)

Enjoy Vilamendhoo,, lucky you :-)

Darryl

PS... Cheak out our review of Vilamendhoo :-)

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

I've read reviews and forum posts of women getting turned away to cover up their bare shoulders at dinner time. I wonder if this is a recent change maybe?

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

We just got back from there yesterday.

Women just need to not wear bikinis/beach wear at meal times, most seemed to wear light weight summer dresses or skirt and top, men just wore shorts a t shirt or polo shirt.

You really don't need any shoes nobody wore shoes from when they got onto the island.

Your going to have a great time , robin the barman is brilliant and there's a big indian barman who's also very funny.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

Thank Ian!

So then women had no straps and were allowed in for dinner?

That makes me feel a lot better about what I can pack.

One more month to go for me! Now I'm getting excited!

Any other tips or info you can pass along to a first timer to vilamendhoo and maldives based on the the trip you just had?

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

Do the water villas balcony doors lock from the outside as well? If we go snorkelling we will want to lock up our villa before we swim off but it would be a pain to have to around back to do that. Also are the keys actual metal keys or key cards?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

I think ur room will be safe enough.... Never thought about getting our Wv robbed from the sea

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

Hi

The WVs have a proper metal key to enter at the front,I don't think you can lock the balcony doors from outside but don't worry there's no pirates lol

Darryl

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

My age might be the problem here (!), but I only took a maxi dress on our very first trip.......NEVER made it out of my bag as I find it's way too hot for anything like that in the Maldives !

Babs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vilamendhoo dress code?

I have to agree on the maxi dresses, I'm sorry, it's just too hot. I've brought them also and maxi skits and I just can't wear them in the Maldives, it's too much material round your legs, just far too hot. I always end up in short skirts. Maldives is one of the few places you seldom see maxi dresses, although you do see them now and again,,,and I suspect it's simply because it's too darn uncomfortable to wear that much material in that heat.

Re locking your wv, never been to Vila, but on other islands we just leave it open and pop the key outside under the cushion on a sun lounger, just in case the room boy locks it. We even do that when just heading out.

As long as all valuables in the safe, no one is going to break in and nick your spare pair of flip flops,,:-))