We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best value/budget hotel?

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best value/budget hotel?

Hi,

We're hoping to book a holiday to the Maldives soon, and looking around at the hotels we're a little spoilt for choice!

expedia.co.uk/vc/package-holidays/maldives

Are there any resorts in particular we should be looking at, or avoiding?

Ideally we want something that:

- Is nice/clean/comfortable

- Has good vegetarian food (though we're not ones for 'posh' restaurants)

- Has good snorkeling opportunities

Somewhere that I can go scuba diving would be a huge bonus too, and free WiFi would also be a massive plus.

Neither of us are big drinkers but all inclusive would be preferable so we don't have to worry about the costs while we're there, although my usual drink is water (or tea, which I doubt will be common there!) so maybe full board is a better option.

Budget of around £1,500 per person with no real preference on when to go (although if it was the same price throughout the year then November would be great) - could stretch to more if it was worthwhile paying the extra, but I think the closer to £1,000 per person the better ;p

Thanks!

Edited: 03 April 2014, 13:21
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

Embudu, Eriyadu, Biyadhoo (no wi fi) , Ellaidhoo, Fihaholhi. Hook up with a proper Maldives TA and avoid the likes of expedia, booking.com etc.

Mentioned in this post
Embudu
Embudu
South Male Atoll
Eriyadu Island
Eriyadu Island
North Male Atoll
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

your budget and desire to snorkel narrows your options down to very few . I concur with paul completely . contact purely Maldives or simply Maldives . expedia omits mentioning details like they are not selling you the 500$ per person seaplane transfer , etc . book through these websites only if you are prepared for expensive but unavoidable add ons to their "packages"

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

Thanks both! I was initially looking exclusively through Kuoni and Virgin (since Thomson and Thomas Cook unfortunately don't offer the trips any more) but was swayed by Expedia due to the better selection, and yes the prices which are much more in line with Thomson/Thomas Cook :)

I hadn't heard of Purely/Simply Maldives before now but will give it a look! Will definitely avoid Expedia too based on what you've both said. Thanks!

Snorkeling is definitely the main reason we'd like to go though, so that is very important to us... also safe snorkelling in particular because my girlfriend would be terrified if there's even a 0.001% chance of getting eaten by a shark.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:54
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

in the last 2,000 yrs there has only been one recorded shark attack in the maldives and it wasnt a fatality. More men have played golf on the moon than had an angry word with a Maldivian shark.

South Wales
Level Contributor
962 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

I've just booked with Tropical Sky and they were fab! ( Maldives direct and Purely Maldives were really helpful too!!

Debs

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

our last 3 bookings were with Travel Designers, Tropical Sky and this year Simply Maldives. On each occasion at the time of booking, each offered the lowest price of all.

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

Ahhh Paul. How do you report a shark attack if you've been eaten ;)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

With difficulty

South Wales
Level Contributor
962 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

Morse cod :)

london
Level Contributor
283 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best value/budget hotel?

Hi NickD

Have you contacted Jai@travellab, I usually book with him. I have always had excellent service and very good prices!

Pina