We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Hello,

My friend and I are booking a last minute weekend trip to Maldives from May 2nd - May 4th and wanted to get your thoughts on what islands to stay.

Our initial islands were:

Kurumba and Agnsana but both have no availability that weekend.

We received suggestions of :

1. Coco Palm Buduhithi

2. Vivanta by Taj

3. Chaaya Reef Elaaidhoo

Just in looking at the websites, Coco palm seems like the best of three, but I wanted to get your thoughts (and suggestions of other islands).

The following are important to us:

1. Staying at about $2,500 total for the weekend (halfboard, including transfers)

2. Snorkelling

3. Transportation by speedboat since we're only there for a weekend, we don't want to spend all out time waiting for seaplanes

4. Relaxation, not too crowded, and we'd like a beautiful view...but its Maldives so we should be okay everywhere.

Thank you!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo is quite a long crossing in a speedboat, around 90 min and very bumpy! It would be quicker to go by seaplane (have done both transfers in the past) Not sure about your other choices, but for a weekend I would pick something closer to Male.

CRE is a good budget choice with great snorkelling.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Like T23 I've done both seaplane and speedboat crossing to Ellaidhoo. If it is calm the crossing is fine but I wouldn't relish it in rough weather.

For views Ellaidhoo probably wouldn't score as highly as other islands. There are 2 sea defences - an inner and outer wall. The outer wall was partly destroyed in December following a storm surge, this in turn destabilised parts of the inner wll, particularly outside the superior rooms. These areas are still to be rebuilt. This part of the reef has also been affected - a large area of table coral has been radically reduced. but fish life is more abundant The beach area is limited but the island still offers good value for money if you accept its shortcomings.

For such a short stay I would stay nearer Male - have you looked at Eriyadu or possibly Helengeli? Kurumba may be close to Male but it reputedly has a fair reef and dining choices plus its short transfer will be cost and time effective for such a short stay.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Maybe consider Makundu as well

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Thank you for your responses so far. We will no longer consider Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo

Kurumba is fully booked.

Right away, We will look into Eriyadu, Helengell, and Makundu (in addition to Coco Palm and Vivanta.

Thank you. I would love to hear about Any experience on any of these five islands.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 16:39
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

Also Embudu if snorkeling is a priority.

The reef looks great but the accommodation and facilities are not 5* but I would imagine it will be very affordable.

6. Re: Last Minute Trip May 2 - 4th (Island Opinions)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:15