We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lagoon vs ocean waters

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
lagoon vs ocean waters

Hi,

I am looking to book Velassaru resort stay and noticed that some villa or bungalow are on top of lagoon while some are on top of ocean. My husband and are are looking for accomodation on top of waters with stairs to go down to the waters for a swim n to see the marine life. May i check what is the difference between the two? Eg more corals or cleaner ??

Also, is it hard to swim below the resort? Saw some feedbacks saying it is hard to swim as the floor is rough with corals?

Also, any chance for non swimmers to experience the snokel or diving experience there too?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

firstly there is no reef at Velassaru so no snorkelling other than the odd passing fish

As for the water villas have a look at this photo;

mondomaldive.it/Maldive-foto/Velassaru/maldi…

the long line to the left are described as water villas and the shorter line on the right are water bungalows;

mondomaldive.it/Mappe_resort/Velassaru.html

The water villas appear to be more in a lagoon with no visible rocks but the water bungalows are not exactly over the ocean so i dont really understand the difference between some being over ocean and others over lagoon. The ones on the right appear to have more sunken coral though so probably more chance of fish to be seen.

As for non swimmers, dont go out of your depth, go out in pairs and wear some sort of flotation device.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

a non swimmer cannot snorkel. you can never put your feet or fins onto coral - period .. so the consistency of the sea floor has nothing to do with swimming. you cannot stand up. as a non swimmer you might be able to wade on the sandy ground to a couple of small coral blocks and observe some marine live there . velassaru has very few of these spots though. as for a non swimmer diving ... I am sure that wasn't a serious question !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

I have to contradict Spammie and say that a non-swimmer can most definitely snorkel. Just that, as Paulnowindublin said, a non-swimmer will need some sort of flotation device -- a life vest usually -- to assist with the snorkelling. I know a number of non-swimmers who have snorkelled before and enjoyed it thoroughly, so don't let it put you off.

Non-swimmers can even dive too, and I personally know a dude who's been on countless dives but who, for the life of it, can't swim if you took away his diving equipment.

So go on and enjoy yourself. I'll be going to Velassaru soon myself and I'm looking forward to it!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 03:23
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

I also know people who have never learned to drive a car and got behind the wheel and made it to the liquor store and back alive ...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

Well in that case, with all due respect, we read in the papers everyday of people with driving licenses who get into a car then get into an accident. Also qualified divers who get into diving accidents.

Of course there's a risk associated with all these activities, and being able to swim would be a bonus re: snorkelling and diving. I'm just trying to ease Tianxin's mind if she's keen on trying some new stuff, esp since I do know of such cases as I mentioned before. At least diving / snorkelling being a non-swimmer isn't illegal whlie driving without a license is.

You didn't have to get all snooty and sarcastic.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

I totally understand that and in some areas its great to be encouraging . in other areas I find it irresponsible to advise people to risk their lifes as well as the life of any rescuer coming to their aid . have you taken note of the alarming rate of drowning deaths of snorkelers in the Maldives in recent years ?

if the op is keen on trying something new , then I would advice to first learn to swim - that is something new - and then to be able to safely enjoy an entire range of water based activities

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

You do have a valid point.

If you felt I was being irresponsible by stating what I know, then I'm sorry but I can't help it, and I certainly had no intention of asking anyone to risk their lives unnecessarily. In fact, I've researched snorkelling myself all over the Internet and it seems a number of people share my thoughts.

That said, I would still like to point out that there's an alarming rate of drownings from such water sport accidents in any given part of the world. And more often than not, the victims are swimmers. But still the accident happened. My point is, being able to swim is a bonus but still doesn't guarantee safety in any case. It's all abt taking precautions, swimmer or not. So a non-swimmer shouldn't be discouraged completely either, if they're keen, willing and careful.

Thanks for your thoughts though, I guess everyone has their own point of view.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

People who can't swim should not be going into open water in search of fish. Even with a life Vest if you can't swim against a current and there are no lifeguards at most islands then good luck to you.

Either you go in shallow water and you stand all over and kill the coral or you go into deep water and put yourself and any potential rescuer in danger.

Learn to swim before you go?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

Shirls, maybe you don't know, but a lot of non-swimmers have died in the Maldives: if you can't swim don't go snorkelling and don't dive: if you want snorkelling and diving, learn to swim, and yes, it's irresponsible to say people than they can do things that will put their lives and the lives of people there in danger...

If you're a non-swimmer and you have a problem in your leg, you're dragged by a current, you panick because you see a triggerfish, a ray or a big shark ..., what do you do? You go panick and you could even hurt someone who would go there to help...

One of the skills you need to prove when Diving is swimming 100-200 m under the water: so you won't do it if you can't swim...

10. Re: lagoon vs ocean waters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:15