We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maaga Island

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Maaga Island

Does anyone have any info' on Maaga Island, ?? ( north ari atoll & close to Ellaidhoo) I was told when on Ellaidhoo a few weeks ago that ' It was being developed as a tourist resort' I have found a review that covered snorkel trips there from Ellaidhoo, A dive trip also went there , although I did not go on that one, apparently a great reef, There was obviously building work in progress but it may have ground to a halt?

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maaga Island

That island was being developed when we were there in 2009.

it was reported to be a luxury island with only half a dozen rooms or so.

Not sure if it's the same one but it was slightly to the left looking out from the main beach.

John

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maaga Island

A little bit of research tells me that island may well have been Dhoni Mighili so in answer to your question BB, no!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maaga Island

I thought that was dhoni/Safari island, with all the Wvs like Dhonis ??. Maaga certainly only appeared to have a few buildings on it. It was to the left looking out from the beach though . Maybe its yet another Villivaru !

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maaga Island

We dived part of the Maaga reef 2 weeks before you arrived - a great macro site teeming with nudibranch plus renowned for manta action - would happily return. We heard that Maaga was previoiusly destined to be an upmarket small resort (it has about 6/10 rooms on it - no WVs) but it wasn't going to be cost effective so it never got off the ground - very much like Villilvaru. Whilst we were there some of the staff got the opportunuity to spend an evening BBQ'ing and partying there - they had a great time!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maaga Island

Thanks Heather, it looked like it had potential !, we dived the Kadolhudo house reef which was very pretty as well, Bring back Villivaru I say

x

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maaga Island

We dived Kandolhu in 2012 and I was expecting great things but came back slightly underwhelmed, to the extent that we didn't bother this time round although I did want to have a nose at the revamped island. At the time I thought we were just unlucky where we were dropped on Kandolhu reef - maybe on one of the less interesting parts. Have to admit this year we concentrated more on night diving the house reef, often going in between 9pm and Midnight and that was worth doing.

Villivaru still makes and interesting dive site (especially at night as long as it isn't crowded with liveaboards) but yes I too would love to have stayed there but I get the feeling looking at the aerial shots that the house reef today is quite different from what it once was.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maaga Island

As to re-vamped Kanodlhu Island, dont know what it was like before. the island gets good reviews , I really REALLY did not like the boxy glass cubes with all the plumbing on show ! whats all that about. Not a nice aspect from the dive boat anyway.

Not into WVs , but the upgrade price my tenancious haggler OH got , for the WV at chaaya was too good to turn down , super room, Was supposed to be last ever trip, but now under review !

8. Re: Maaga Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:16