We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baros vs Shangri-La

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Baros vs Shangri-La

Have researched so many resorts for our honeymoon. Narrowed it down to the two above. (Other backup option we are thinking is Velassaru)

Anybody let me know which they think would suit us better. The following criteria:

- Absolute 5 star luxury

- Feeling of seclusion and privacy

- Modern rooms (we prefer not to have the old style timber, etc. the above resorts seem fine in this respect)

- And just an island with a nice relaxing unrushed vibe (difficult to explain, but hopefully you know what I mean)

We are planning to book this week for travel in November 2014.

We are spending a lot of money, so really want to get this right!

Look forward to some pointers.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

I would find it hard to feel seclusion on baros with a view of high rises and the busy waterways surrounding the island . baros does have an ok reef though , for off the beach snorkeling .

Shangri-La .. very nice villas .. no reef

velassaru .... a step down from Shangri la .. pretty resort .. no reef . view of the garbage burning plant and industrial complex in the difference bothered me a lot , others barely notice it

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

Both are great islands, but what kind of villa are you considering at each one? That would be important.

Regarding Baros, the truth is that there are no busy waterways surrounding the island at all... The only speddboats/ferry that you'll ever see are those of the island, no any other... Is a much more quiet island than any other that you can reach by seaplane, which arrive and leave a few times each day (many times, depending on the island) or other island which are really close to Male and because of that, they are really in the ferris/cruises/speedboats in general paths...

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

In Baros we had a look at the reviews and most say that any type is great. So we were thinking either to go for the beach villa or baros villa. In shangri we are looking at pool villa or deluxe pool villa.

In terms of unsightly buildings spammie we've read a few reviews about this and most are saying it's far in the distance and difficult to make out. Maybe some lights can be made out in the distance. We really don't mind that at all.

Reef doesn't bother us. Not on our priority list. We won't be doing much snorkeling or diving.

Other option we just looked at was Huvafen Fushi.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

Pool villas and deluxe pool villas at Shangri-la aren't at the beach, as long as you know that, it will be great...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

Sometimes a choice can be hard because there is no island that meets 100% of your criteria ... In that case, just go with your gut feeling, works for me anyway as I have not yet ever regretted a holiday destination / hotel. Youtube has detailed videos posted by guest of pretty much anywhere ... And in my experience the reality of being there is so much better!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

Hi, what do you mean they not at the beach?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

The villas are set way back from the beach.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

The villas at shangri la are either on the beach front or on the wavy side with no beach. Both right on the seafront with sea views, but the ones on the wavy side have no sea access as too rough. These were called the pool villas when we went, but think they may have been renamed.

9. Re: Baros vs Shangri-La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2016, 05:15