We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Would appreciate recommendations of a few resorts to help me narrow down my 'research'. Hopefully there are activities my teens can do at the resort without having to take a boat out. Thsi is for June and we have a budget of US$500/room/night or higher if it is full board. Is it possible at all?

Jersey
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

A larger island may suit your needs. Kuramathi and kuredu are on the larger side. I can only talk about Kuredu. I have a ten & fourteen year old. We have been three times, as the island has what we want.

There is sea grass very close to shore which has green sea turtles feeding on it, plus other fish. I swam with a 5 ft black tip reef shark here. There is a house reef with a ship wreck. The house reef is ok. Not as stunning as Komando, but you can go on a short trip there. You can explore the island and walk on the sand spit at low tide. To the north of the island there is a lagoon with black tip reef sharks and little sting rays. There is plenty of wildlife to chat to - fruit bats, lizards, geckos etc.

There is a football pitch, badminton court and golf course.

There are plenty of excellent trips by dhoni or speedboat. The reefs are stunning and well worth the trip and cost. ( which is very reasonable)

On an evening there is some entertainment, but we prefered to sit on the end of the jetty watching the fish and looking out for sharks. Watching the sunset is wonderful and you can often spot dolphins.

I'd be happy at any resort in the Maldives. Enjoy it- whichever island you decide. Hope this is of some help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Are the above 2 islands accessible by short speedboat ride and have water villas?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,887 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Seaplane transfer for kuredu; seaplane or boat for kuramathi; and yes they both have WVs. Most islands may not allow children in a WV.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Oh, perhaps my question was not clear - I was looking for all these features: Water villa, home reefs, (accessible by) speedboat (from Male international airport), (beach/sea) activities. My children are in late teens so no issue with WV. Angsana and Kandooma came up in one of my searches...

Edited: 29 April 2014, 08:52
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

Angsana Ihuru - no water villas

Angsana Velavaru - seaplane transfer only

Kandooma doesn't have an accessible house reef although you can snorkel with passing fish.

Your (older) teenage children will be charged as adults and you may need multiple rooms (most take 2/3 adults) so I see a difficulty in your budget stretching to meet all your required features.

Have a look at Embudu.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

We understand that we will have to take two rooms or a villa with 2 bedrooms. Maldives is really expensive. Tripadvisor has just posted that the #1 beach is Boracay in Philippines :) cheaper, just as beautiful but less convenient.

Well...

7. Re: Water villa, home reefs, speedboat, activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:16