We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain and snorkeling

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rain and snorkeling

Hi guys, looking forward to vilamendhoo this September, I have prepared myself for the high possibility of a few days rain and sunbathing is not high on my list so it's not a major issue.

I am just wondering how it affects snorkeling and visibility, the main reason I chose Vilamendhoo was the reef and I am hoping to get some good video recorded, how much does the rain affect visibility does anyone know? is it usually too choppy to snorkel in rain off the beach or relatively safe unless there's extreme weather?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain and snorkeling

Hi

Often snorkelled in rain and not found visibility an issue but photos and videos look better in sunshine as need light.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain and snorkeling

It really depends on how hard it's raining,,,light shower, no major impact, big old storm and it can churn it up somewhat,,,,:-))

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain and snorkeling

Haha to be fair as long as I can Snorkel and not be bored out my mind then it will be fine! Have any of you tried a red filter on a camera before? Supposed to really improve the colour on snorkeling photos was thinking of getting one

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain and snorkeling

No,,,I edit them after uploading,,,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain and snorkeling

Plus red filters are probably more important for diving - i.e. the deeper you go. You don't really lose too much colour snorkeling at shallow depths.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain and snorkeling

A lot of my vids taken from surface looking into deep water seem very washed out and blue/grey. Maybe the camera settings not sure, using a gopro hero3 black.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain and snorkeling

The pictures will be better at Vilamendhoo because the reef is very shallow so the sunlight is much stronger on the coral :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain and snorkeling

It's not so much the rain as the wind that accompanies it that spoils my snorkelling experience at that time of year. I tend to get seasick with all the bouncing up and down plus I find it makes taking pictures much harder. Even on a sunny day, I don't enjoy snorkelling if it's windy for the same reasons - maybe I'm just odd!!!

SL

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain and snorkeling

I don't think I have ever snorkelled when it's been really windy so I don't know of you are odd or not, I've never really bounced up and down enough to get sea sick whilst snorkelling to be honest. Nor do I think I would endure it long enough to get sea sick,

However I dislike a strong current, swimming against it can be exhausting and you can drift out with it if not careful and need to swim against it to get back. As weather deteriorates the current can get stronger.

If you are focused on taking pictures this could actually be quite dangerous, depending on your strength and people do seriously underestimate this and how hard it is to swim against the current sometimes.

The issue is you dont realise how strong the current is when you drift out with it, it's only when you look up, and realise how far you have went and then try to swim back, you realise how exhausting it is.

I'm strong and fit, I spend a lot of time in the gym, but I have been in currents where even when I am swimming as hard as I can, I'm not really going anywhere fast. I find that scary as I have little to no control over the situation.

Snorkelling in bad weather needs to be done with more caution than usual to ensure safety,

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain and snorkeling

For me, even when weather is good, sometimes the sea is a little choppy and a lot of water goes inside the snorkel: I hate that and it's really annoying.

When you take pictures or videos of corals or fishes which are a little far from you, everything is blue: you need to be as close as possible... Of course, apart of using the submarine mode (sometimes I gave forgotten it...).