We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Hi all,

I have been to the Maldives several times (Naladhu, Taj Exotica, Kanuhura, Lux). I'm looking to go again and am seeing some great off peak package rates for the three hotels in the subject, all more or less around the same price with half board included.

Has anyone out there been to all three and could maybe let me know which they preferreed. I'd be going with basic beach accommoation in each (prefer beack to water villas). My thoughts from what I've read are:

Soneva - something v special about the place but no main pool and decor possibly a little dated, food and snorkelling excellent and lots of little extras

One and Only - villas out of this world, but I hear it's a little commercial, expensive, food can be hit and miss. not sure about the island reef?

Four Seasons KH - hard to really get a feel for it, seems like it might have more kids than the others, FS service always top notch.

Can anyone advise? Food is important and also I'm not sure with free HB whether they allow you to choose restaurants or not. Also, is snorkelling equipment free etc. - I hate when they try to get every last dollar out of you when you're already spending lots of money! Many thanks!!!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

There's no reef at Reethi Rah, just a little area with a few corals and fishes. No reef at FS and there's a reef at Soneva, but it isn't excellent: dead corals with many fishes.

I haven't been to none, but Reethi Rah and FS are very family friendly, and Soneva is more focused on couples. If SF is like Soneva gili was, HB meant a set menu at the main restaurant (or buffet the days there was one), and a discount of 90$ per person at in-Villa Doming or other restaurants... Food is supposed to be great at SF and RR.

If you have doubts about the HB, just ask them.

From your options I would go to Reethi Rah (there's no way I would ever go back to a Soneva hotel), but you need to use shoes for dinner and I don't like that, I prefer a more casual atmosphere...

Berkshire
Level Contributor
825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Out of the three I would go to Reethi Rah. (I have been to Reethi Rah and FS KH) The villas are amazing and you have lots of privacy as the villas are spaced very far apart. As Maria says there is no reef so if snorkeling is important than you may want to look at Soneva. All the restaurants are good and if you are on HB you get a discount on the other restaurants. The spa is huge and laid out in lovely grounds.

The island can have man made feel to it in areas so I would ask for your villa to be on Grand Beach as it is the prettiest and most natural. We really enjoyed RR even if it did not have the Maldivian feel of other islands we have been to and would consider going back but only if we split our stay with another resort, such as Huvafen Fushi, which does have a decent reef.

We didnt enjoy FS as it was full of toddlers and a felt really busy at times.. IMO it is also too "branded" and we didnt like being so close to Male so we didnt get the remote feeling of other islands.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 11:41
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Only been to Soneva in your list, during my stay in Soneva Fushi, we got USD70 credit per person for dinner (we were in FB), you could have it in main restaurant (no credit limit, a la carte or buffet at theme night) OR you could also use it in all other restaurants and in villa dining. As Maria said, the reef is quite bleached but marine life was great. We joined two private snorkeling trip and the sites they brought us were gorgeous, those are not reef on an island, but coral reefs in the middle of ocean, very healthy corals (different from most reef at Baa atoll) the best snorkeling trips I've been so far.

For HB in Reehi Rah, its a 3 courses menu in Main restaurant or dinning credit of USD70 per person in all other outlets (except room service) and buffet theme night.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Hi

If snorkeling is important then your question has been answered (Soneva Fushi) - I would however suggest that there are many more islands which should be on your shortlist. Maybe proffer your budget and requirements to the forum and we can all make suggestions for you ?

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Hi

Personally I love SF it's a while since I was there but I believe there's been some up dating and certainly some alterations accommodation wise the basic villas having been rebuilt. The desert islands they send you to for the day are superb with wonderful coral. The food is first class

Regards

Doug

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

Stayed at Soneva F iin February for 11 nights and the villa certainly wasn't dated at all (Villa 28), bose sounds and all mod cons and very relaxing! The staff and food are outstanding, I would definitely recommend going HB. The food is fantastic. One down side is wine is very expensive.... Minor detail.

We snorkelled every day and saw lots of fish but the coral is bleached.

If you looking for a relaxing private time while being looked after like your a royal then I can recommend SF.

7. Re: One and Only, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or Soneva Fushi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:17